Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2020, 05:14 PM

Default Confused about Perpetual Licenses for Educators/Students

Avid still has this "Perpetual License" offer at $299 for Educators/Students.

Is this correct? Is this like having the Perpetual licenses of the past? (i.e. PT 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 up to 12.5.2)

If you had a perpetual license from say 12, obviously you can't update to PT 2020 from that license.

However, if you purchase a NEW Perpetual license for Educators, does that give a NEW PERPETUAL license, though with just one year of updates?

From what I read (if I read correctly on the dozens of posts here), once you upgrade/crossgrade/purchase ANYTHING new, even though "Perpetual License" they are talking about on the Education page, it's still Subscription Based and you "give up" your original perpetual license?

Can someone please clarify? The $299 for a Perpetual License sounds worth it if it is indeed the same type of Perpetual License from the old days. I don't want to deal with subscriptions.

From the page:

$299.00 Perpetual License—Education Pricing (Download)
Buy it once and own it forever
Comes with a 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan, which includes access to all new releases, bonus plugins (including UVI Falcon), and, support, renewable annually (see System Requirements)

Source: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...sku=DYNA20006&

(I currently have 12.5.2 which I upgraded from PT 10 years ago which was purchased with an Academic license, and have a 2014 Macbook Pro w/Mojave, to which I know 12.5.2 is not qualified to run on, and I have lately been experiencing a ton of clicks and pops even at the highest buffer settings. I plan on getting a new Mac soon and will obviously have to upgrade)
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Confused about Perpetual Licenses for Educators/Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
Avid still has this "Perpetual License" offer at $299 for Educators/Students.
Is this correct?
Correct.

Quote:
Is this like having the Perpetual licenses of the past? (i.e. PT 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 up to 12.5.2)
Basically yes, though perpetual licenses starting with v12.6 have a Release Limit date that determines the most recent version that can be authorized (prevents having to exchange licenses like when we went from 10 to 11, etc.).

Quote:
if you purchase a NEW Perpetual license for Educators, does that give a NEW PERPETUAL license, though with just one year of updates?
Correct, you get a non-expiring license and a year of software releases.

Quote:
From what I read (if I read correctly on the dozens of posts here), once you upgrade/crossgrade/purchase ANYTHING new, even though "Perpetual License" they are talking about on the Education page, it's still Subscription Based and you "give up" your original perpetual license?
Perpetual and Subscription are different and we still sell both. Sounds like you are talking about a Crossgrade to Subscription (provides a discount for trading in a perpetual license when moving to subscription). Check the product name - if it says Perpetual then it is a non-expiring license and includes a renewable Update Plan that provides a year of software releases - you can continue running the versions provided if you don't renew the Update Plan. Subscription is a temporary license that authorizes Pro Tools while the subscription is active.

Quote:
From the page:
$299.00 Perpetual License—Education Pricing (Download)
Buy it once and own it forever
Comes with a 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan, which includes access to all new releases, bonus plugins (including UVI Falcon), and, support, renewable annually (see System Requirements)
Source: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...sku=DYNA20006&
That link is for Pro Tools Ultimate Subscription but the description is for Perpetual. Please make note of which license type is listed in the description when choosing Perpetual or Subscription. shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=DYNA20002 is the EDU page for Pro Tools Subscription (first 2 options) and Perpetual (3rd option).

Does that help?
Old 11-24-2020, 03:40 PM

I admit I'm still a little confused.
I'm licensed under a perpetual Education licence and the latest version I have is 12.2 (5 years old?)
I've bought an annual update subscription (which offers me 2020.11 through AVID link, but when I try and launch that, I get an error that I'm not licenced for it.
What's the subscription give me above and beyond my perpetual licence?
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwollins View Post
...I've bought an annual update subscription (which offers me 2020.11 through AVID link, but when I try and launch that, I get an error that I'm not licenced for it...
A new subscription would provide a Pro Tools Subscription license - independant of your perpetual license. Make sure you have activated that and deactivated your perpetual license which could be interfering with authorization of 2020.11.

If you don't see the new license then make sure you are looking at the correct iLok account (it should be the iLok User ID listed with your product in my.avid.com/products > Pro Tools).
Old 11-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Thanks Jeffro. Appreciate it. That helps my understanding of the licencing model.
Something may still be wrong with my 'profile'?
My iLok account only lists my perpetual licence. The only 'subscription' item listed is a Falcon Synth?
My AVID Link software and online profile are both linked to the only iLok account I have.
So it appears as though my iLok account isn't recognising my active AVID subscription?
When I deactivate the perpetual licence on my iLok key and launch 2020.11, I'm asked to sign to activate through a "Software Activation: Pro Tools Perpetual" window. I login to iLok, the licence activates and I'm back to "You are trying to run a newer version of Pro Tools than allowed by your license" ....
Have logged a support call with AVID.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwollins View Post
...Have logged a support call with AVID.
Found your case and will update that.