Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-02-2001, 04:28 PM

Default Aux input meters vs Track meters

Greetings All,

I recently discovered something that has me a bit confused. Maybe someone in the DUC can help.

I have a track whose input is set to analog outputs 3-4 of Digi 001 where I have a Triton plugged in. I have the input gain set to -10dbV. I have to adjust the level of the Triton to prevent clipping.

I also have an Aux input track whose input is assigned to the Triton, however the clip meter never goes on. I could even raise the input gain to maximum and stil the Aux meter doesn't clip but the Track meter indicates clipping. Both levels are set to 0.0

What's the difference? Why won't the Aux input meter indicate a clip when the track meter does?
Old 12-02-2001, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Aux input meters vs Track meters

For the Aux input: what Digi analog inputs are assigned to the Aux inputs? Also 3-4? And what are the input levels for those inputs in the hardware setup?
Old 12-03-2001, 11:51 AM

Greetings CCash,

Yes, the aux inputs are set to the same inputs (3-4) as the track that is clipping.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:31 PM

That does sound strange. Unless there's a plug-in on one and not the other, which is way too obvious.

I wonder if there's a headroom difference between track inputs and aux inputs?
Old 12-03-2001, 05:38 PM

As a test, I bussed the outputs of the aux input to another track to record the hot signal and did notice that the upper crests of the wave were flattened. As long as I kept the aux input level below 0.0, the track meter won't indicate a clip. So it is possible to record an overloaded signal without the aux input or the track meters indicating a clip.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CCash:
I wonder if there's a headroom difference between track inputs and aux inputs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In the digital realm of the 001, it's not really a headroom issue like in analog equipment. If a signal hits the maximum level (even if it doesn't technically 'overshoot') the overshoot 'led' lights. (There are systems out there which check if more than one consecutive sample hits this level ... but that's another issue. I'm quite sure digi doesn't do that.)

But this doesn't address why it doesn't show-up on your Aux input meter display. If you add a second input track and assign it to the Triton, do both tracks show the overshoot? Or how about killing the input track and just using the aux track -- then does it show up?

I wonder if they (digi) disabled the overshoot display on aux tracks for some reason. (Now you've got me wanting to play with this myself when I get home!) The only possible reason (which doesn't hold water, of course) would be if they thought that since we don't "record" on an aux track, the latching overshoot indicator would be more of a bother than a help. But, for the PT-MIDI users out there, they just might use the aux input as is during a BTD for example.

Can't type any more ... gotta run home and play with this quirk!

Kurt
Old 12-03-2001, 08:42 PM

Maybe the LED is blown?

er, I'll get my coat... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'll have to check this out. Somehow, I thought the Aux tracks did show overloads. Let me have a look...

Phil
Old 12-04-2001, 12:04 AM

In addition, I also have the prefade metering option set under the operations menu.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:02 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kcarter:

If you add a second input track and assign it to the Triton, do both tracks show the overshoot?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kcarter:

Or how about killing the input track and just using the aux track -- then does it show up?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it does not.

In the Getting Started w/DIGI001 manual, version 5.1, Ch 6, pg65, section "To fine tune the Input level gain(Analog Inputs 3-8), bullet 4 states that, "If the level hits red, they are clipping, and you should lower the input gain". So maybe my LED's are blown! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Does this happen on your system?
Old 12-04-2001, 01:11 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by accession:
Maybe the LED is blown?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe i can download a replacement from digi's download site [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]