Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 08:54 PM

Default undocumented secret? LE on D24?

at first thought it may seem stupid. why run LE software when you can run full blown TDM software?

LE on a d24 system

I own a digi001 and a d24 w / 1 dsp farm.

I just "upgraded". removed the digi001 from the system completely. never uninstalled LE. I just loaded tdm software on top of it.

So when i clicked on PT TDM I just opened it up, bla bla. doubleclicked a session and it didn't load much of it. no RTAS on aux's, half wmy "sends" were disabled, and the RTAS plugs get loaded in tdm when they can. damnit! my mixes in the box are ruined. each one will require me to export the plug in settings and minimize my sends.

I wanted to see what I happened when I opened LE.

It magically opened.

"Playback Hardware"? "LE on d24" or something like that.

I loaded my "old" digi001 session I previously couldnt open in TDM (fully). It's got 32 tracks, everything submixed and bus compressed with quite a few 1176's and a Realverb. This thing used to max out my "CPU" in LE.

half my cpu is used in LE with d24.

HALF.

you want better performance for RTAS plugs? a used |24 system is cheaper than a new g5 and IT'S MODULAR.

surprisingly the TDM software is a disappointment to me. go figure. Beat detective is nice though.

not being able to insert a plug in while a track plays kinda sucks as does no RTAS on aux tracks but I am liking it so far.

867QS
1gig ram
tdm and le 5.1
d24
dsp farm

Old 11-27-2003, 10:39 PM

Default Re: undocumented secret? LE on D24?

hmm interesting............
Old 11-29-2003, 02:44 PM

Can anyone else confirm this works?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:44 PM

Quote:

surprisingly the TDM software is a disappointment to me. go figure. Beat detective is nice though.

not being able to insert a plug in while a track plays kinda sucks as does no RTAS on aux tracks but I am liking it so far.

Kerian, it's been a while - drop me a line...

I believe you can instantiate plugins during playback on TDM systems with PT6 or later, but I'm not sure if that alone would be worth the upgrade costs to you.

BUT, the RTAS limitations (due to the core innerworkings of the TDM architecure) absolutely suck.

No Vintage Warmer on the master bus.

No love, man, no love.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Can anyone else confirm this works?

you dont trust me? j/k

It really works. I dont think it's a secret to digi. I almost bet you could run TDM software on a digi001. Can anyone confirm THAT? When I had my digi001 and the d24 in the computer (before i sold it).... the digi001 showed up in the "Hardware settings" along with the dsp farm as a device to assign an interface. I couldn't get it to show up for the life on me within i/o settings but something in the digi software (tdm or 001) let's it recognize any and all digi hardware within either of the software.

The LE software works with TDM hardware in every way. I have been using it. whether there is any real benefit to it (as you give up tdm plugs) is debateable. If I need to run lots of TRAS plugs.. I now have the option. TDM hardware takes care of the I/O and RTAS takes care of my plugs. as soon as I get a mix farm i'll probably never use LE software but untill I can upgrade... I think I'll be tracking in LE, editing in TDM, and mixing in LE.

Thanks Digi!!!! This is one feature that makes megrating to TDM easy.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:10 PM

I can confirm that this works. Of course you lose any processing that would be done on your tdm cards (including TDM only FX), but it can be useful if you are sending a session to a LE studio--or possibly a mastering session where you use RTAS on the Master Fader. Tried it with both 5.1 and 6.1.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:13 AM

Which version of LE is it?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:10 AM

so to upgrade all you need is a d24 ? which will run in le ? and you say the d24 handles tracks will the host handles plugins
i ask because I would be interested in such an upgrade you can still use the 001 right?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:10 PM

It's not really a secret - it's been working for years. Digi have shipped ( on and off) Pro Tools LE for TDM systems in the TDM kit.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 12-09-2003, 08:28 AM

So running Pro Tools LE on a d24 card... how is I/O handled? Would one need an 888 or ADAT bridge to use the d24 for I/O? That would certainly be a nice way to be able to bypass the Digi 001's converters, and be able to use two Apogee Rosetta 800's or something...

Anyone have a link to some more information about the d24 card, and where to get one/how much they're going for?

TIA,

Brian