Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Default How to setup dialogue reverb for surround?

If I want to create 5.1/7.1 reverb for dialogue(in a large hall or cave), should I setup a mono send to mono aux with multichannel reverb inserted? Or should I create 5.1/7.1 send to 5.1/7.1 aux with multichannel reverb inserted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 PM

Default Re: How to setup dialogue reverb for surround?

Quote:
Originally Posted by critictalk View Post
If I want to create 5.1/7.1 reverb for dialogue(in a large hall or cave), should I setup a mono send to mono aux with multichannel reverb inserted? Or should I create 5.1/7.1 send to 5.1/7.1 aux with multichannel reverb inserted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First of why .1? The dialog never carries any information for the Lfe channel.
I personally create 5.0 or 7.0 Aux and insert multichannel reverb on it e.g Exponential Audio Stratus Surround reverb.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 02-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I personally create 5.0 or 7.0 Aux and insert multichannel reverb on it e.g Exponential Audio Stratus Surround reverb.
Really? Never? I have had many occasions to use an LFE channel for "monster" dialog or other processed dialog. Just my 2¢.

To answer the original question ... There isn't really a "right" or "wrong" way ... it all depends on what is called for onscreen. When ADR matching, it is often best to use a MONO return which matches the field image of the dialog you're trying to match. When using reverb for effect ... wider field images are often helpful. I find it's usually easiest to use a mono send and then pan the returns (often via mono to multichannel plug ins) as needed.... but sometimes, more specific (directional) verbs sound better ... in which case you may want to use multichannel sends.

Again ... no rules ... it's the result the matters.

Hope this helps,
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiograce View Post
Really? Never? I have had many occasions to use an LFE channel for "monster" dialog or other processed dialog. Just my 2¢.
No, I still would say never 5.1 for dialog.
In my book the dialog is too important to rely (any of its part) on the Lfe channels.
If I want a "monster alike" sound I would open an Aux with Lowender or other Sub Synthesiser plugin inserted on it and outputting it to the C or LR or both. But no Lfe, sorry.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 02-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
No, I still would say never 5.1 for dialog.
In my book the dialog is too important to rely (any of its part) on the Lfe channels.
If I want a "monster alike" sound I would open an Aux with Lowender or other Sub Synthesiser plugin inserted on it and outputting it to the C or LR or both. But no Lfe, sorry.
I never use the .1 for dialogue, ever. However, I like to set up the bus as either a 5.1 or a 7.1 so I can use the stock fold down plugin. It doesn't work on a 5.0 track. Just a preference in workflow.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 02-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiograce View Post

Has anyone told Ben Burtt that he can't put Jabba The Hutt's voice in the LFE (baby boom) for Return of the Jedi? When was that released? On The 12th of Never?

Like Todd, I've used it for monster dialogue and even for "devilish" characters.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Has anyone told Ben Burtt that he can't put Jabba The Hutt's voice in the LFE (baby boom) for Return of the Jedi? When was that released? On The 12th of Never?

Like Todd, I've used it for monster dialogue and even for "devilish" characters.
Ok, I assume its subjective. I also subjectively think that panning dialog to surrounds physically disrupts audience from the screen. I do like surround reverbs when they sound natural and with taste.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
...I also subjectively think that panning dialog to surrounds physically disrupts audience from the screen...

Tell that to Godard... ;-)

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Tell that to Godard... ;-)
You don't have to go that far. Tell it to Skip Lievsay!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
You don't have to go that far. Tell it to Skip Lievsay!
From his interview by the Dolby Atmos guy its not that clear either it was his decision or Cuarón's one...(having said that I liked the film, its sound design and mix but still I think that Cuaróns best film so far was "Children of men".

While I deeply respect gentlemen above and adore their powerful influence in a world cinema, I still have my subjective opinion on their certain artistic experiments.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com