Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Default A unique setup plan. HELP!

Hello everyone!

So, I've just purchased a Soundcraft Ui24R.

It offers the option to connect a touchscreen to it directly, and it records to USB drive, completely by itself without the need for a computer.

BUT

I want to run Pro tools on my rig.

Now, I already have a touchscreen, so my next logical step would be to get a Mac mini. I'm going to be self-contained in a rack case by SKB, with the monitor mounted on the top rack that's meant for a mixer, and the soundcraft and other stuff on the bottom racks (It's 6U front, 10U top, I'll provide a picture of it).
Now, I see there's companies that make a bracket to put a Mac mini or even two, inside a 1U space which is awesome, and would be perfect for this.

But, there's one caveat.

Mac OS isn't really designed to run on a touchscreen, is it now?
Besides, for half the price of a Mac mini, I can get a mini PC that's twice as powerful...

So my question to you guys is, what would you do?
I've ran Pro tools on PC before and HATED IT, it makes me sick to my stomach running Pro Tools on Windows, it crashed a bunch, I couldn't get the mix and edit windows the way I wanted them, among many other problems.
But if I added a Mac mini to this, I'd have to get a drawer to use a wireless keyboard and mouse, which I don't want to do either.

Thoughts?