Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Default Pro Tools 9, bypassing 003 console ?!?

I had been running Pro Tools 9.0.2 for what seems like forever on my Mac when suddenly Pro Tools would launch even though the 003 console was turned off, ie pro tools seem to allow me to launch it despite lack of hardware. Even when i tried having the console on (console screen shows "003 Offline") before starting pro tools, it ignores it and starts up anyway (while console screen still shows "003 Offline"). If I play a project you hear sounds coming out of the computer speakers!

I don't recall the last time I upgraded my mac but it is currently running 10.6.8.
1. anybody know a way to look at my update history, maybe the most recent update caused it?
2. does 10.6.8 have known compatibility issues?

I hope I didn't make things worse but out of desperation I
1. upgraded pro tools to 9.0.6
2. reinstalled 003 drivers (002 and 003 Family....v90_r3_73509)

However I see the exact same behavior. Some history, I initially bought pro tools 8 LE and then bought a product key at guitar center for pro tools 9. Everything has been fine since I upgraded some time back. I still have original 8 disks and product key I used for 9.

I want to avoid completely removing everything and then installing 8, upgrading to 9, etc but would like to avoid if possible. I might even just install 8 and leave and that since I don't really use to many features.

thx!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9, bypassing 003 console ?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrichter View Post
I had been running Pro Tools 9.0.2 for what seems like forever on my Mac when suddenly Pro Tools would launch even though the 003 console was turned off, ie pro tools seem to allow me to launch it despite lack of hardware. Even when i tried having the console on (console screen shows "003 Offline") before starting pro tools, it ignores it and starts up anyway (while console screen still shows "003 Offline"). If I play a project you hear sounds coming out of the computer speakers!

I don't recall the last time I upgraded my mac but it is currently running 10.6.8.
1. anybody know a way to look at my update history, maybe the most recent update caused it?
2. does 10.6.8 have known compatibility issues?

I hope I didn't make things worse but out of desperation I
1. upgraded pro tools to 9.0.6
2. reinstalled 003 drivers (002 and 003 Family....v90_r3_73509)

However I see the exact same behavior. Some history, I initially bought pro tools 8 LE and then bought a product key at guitar center for pro tools 9. Everything has been fine since I upgraded some time back. I still have original 8 disks and product key I used for 9.

I want to avoid completely removing everything and then installing 8, upgrading to 9, etc but would like to avoid if possible. I might even just install 8 and leave and that since I don't really use to many features.

thx!!!!
Ah let me break this to you gently...Pro Tools 9 (and 10) is *supposed* to launch and use the internal Core Audio interface if your 003 is offline. That open interface support was *the* big new feature in Pro Tools 9.

What shows up under setup>Playback Engine? (or hold down the 'N' key as you launch Pro Tools). Can you select the 003 as the Playback Engine there?

Once you sort that out you probably want to upgrade to 9.0.6.

Darryl
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM

thank you so much darryl! While I feel a little dumb, I'm glad it was just a simple setting change. Somehow the engine had gotten set to Pro Tools Aggregate I/O.

I switched to 003 and console is back online.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrichter View Post
thank you so much darryl! While I feel a little dumb, I'm glad it was just a simple setting change. Somehow the engine had gotten set to Pro Tools Aggregate I/O.

I switched to 003 and console is back online.
And if you do want to use the Mac's build in audio say for mixing without the 003 being present I would not use aggregate IO... just set the playback engine to the built-in output.

Your 003 is also completely unable to work with aggregate IO, some modern third party interfaces can build aggregates and be used by Pro Tools (just telling you so you don't ever waste time trying to create an aggregate device that includes the 003).

Darryl