Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Audition CC - Incredible software but what on earth is with all the phoning home?

Does anyone else put up with this?

I have never had to grant any software such firewall access in my life before.. and i only have audition installed, nothing else from their cloud.

I signed up for a year, cause i loved cool edit pro and I have 2 weeks to cancel without penalty, just been 5 days so far..

Does anyone else use it and do you put up with all these processes running just for one program or is it ok to delete them?

I mean seriously! Check the pic.. just for adobe audition..

And in half an hour all those literally called home, every single one.

Every single one of them is a constant resident service! One of them uses 3% cpu on it's own according to istat!

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

I got this as a two track audio editor and i couldn't afford wavelab off the bat.. I have twisted wave which I love but i wanted something where i had an integrated master insert section without having to have one that is like an "addon" (like twisted wave) where i have to preview with integrated buttons etc.. I just want to add effects in realtime and remove them and hit play and be done.

But other than that, audition offers some really advanced spectral editing and noise reduction.. I really like it a lot. I could see myself using it for absolutely all my mastering.. Could do with a DDP page though.

The other thing, as powerful as wavelab is (and 900 dollars here), i find it an absolute mess visually, even with V9.5.. and i am only demoing elements at present LOL.. let alone the full version.
I mean i know it's top stuff but audition doesn't hurt my eyes at all.. it's so easy to use.. it's a little crash happy with certain plugins but then what isn't these days with VST's.

Did anyone else say no way and just return it or do you put up with it as is? Note, i already have creative cloud run at startup disabled, it's even worse with that enabled (default).

I wonder if it's worth getting a dedicated computer (i could use my current imac 27" for this when i buy my new mac) just for audition so it doesn't eat into my DAW performance just by existing on the computer. LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adobe audition processes.jpg (42.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Audition CC - Incredible software but what on earth is with all the phoning home?

Use your processes report to track down each one of these micro apps, and where it resides on your system. One by one, zip it and then delete the orig. Then re-launch your main app and see if it it still functional. If it is still working just fine, then you don't need that crappy little piece of spyware. Move to the next, etc etc until you are done. Zip, delete, test each time.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Audition CC - Incredible software but what on earth is with all the phoning home?

yeah will give that a go thanks..

have noticed a definite system performance hit.. delays in general OS clicking around and stuff unfortunately.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I signed up for a year, cause i loved cool edit pro and I have 2 weeks to cancel without penalty, just been 5 days so far..
Darn COol edit pro... I remember using it the day it came out was nice then, especially the ability to analyse a track and clean it from unwanted noise, sometimes it didn't work that well and you were left with artifact.. but cmon that was over 20 years ago! :P

Wave-T.com
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Comeon nothing.. audition is more than cool edit pro ever was! Best mastering software out in my opinion, way superior to sound forge by the way (which is ridiculously expensive for what it is.. 500 US bucks? On special? no thanks!)

Anyway, i removed everything adobe from the launchd and launch agents folders and backed them up in a different folder in a zip file.. Absolutely no issues running audition. The only one i can't disable from starting up is core sync but seems others have the same issue, it is what it is.

Already a big positive performance difference. A couple of those services re start up if audition or creative cloud menu is launched ( to search for audition updates) but there are no problems with not having them start with the computer.. Also once you quit creative cloud the associated processes quit again.. The way it should be from install.

So i guess i'll keep audition.

it's like application manager. in a way. When i install a new pro tools it re installs and i have to disable it all over again from automatic start.. so i guess when i install audition updates the same thing will happen, and i'll just remove them again.

proves there is absolutely NO reason for adobe to force all this junk to startup on the machine just to run audition.. other than adobe wanting to force a bunch of junk starting up on the machine
Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
proves there is absolutely NO reason for adobe to force all this junk to startup on the machine just to run audition.. other than adobe wanting to force a bunch of junk starting up on the machine

Attached Images
File Type: jpg It's the ecosystem man.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)

Wave-T.com
Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM

i want what you're on