Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Default Kemper amp mono to stereo routing

I have my Kemper amp connect via SPDIF. I capture the DI on one track and have the Kemper as insert. The output of the DI track goes to a separate audio track so the DI track and the amped signal are both recorded on separate tracks.

My problem is when I use the Kemper in stereo it prints down to the stereo track in mono. The only solutions I’ve come up with are to either use two stereo tracks, I don’t want to capture the DI in stereo, or to put a mono/stereo plugin on the mono DI track before the Kemper insert.

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Kemper amp mono to stereo routing

I would split the guitar before it hits the Kemper(with a DI box). Having said that, depending on your system and round-trip latency, you might go direct into PT and feed that out SPDIF to the Kemper and return the Kemper to its own track.

Having said all that, 90% of my Kemper recordings are done mono(the other 10% are not my choice). The stereo FX in the Kemper can be replaced with plugins while tracking, and that has the added advantage of cleaner punch-ins and the ability to change your mind later on. Now there is the age-old argument to commit to a sound and recording it, but that would/could negate the need for the "dry" recording anyway

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM

@albee1952 Thanks for the response. Allow me to elaborate because it may lead to a different answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
...you might go direct into PT and feed that out SPDIF to the Kemper and return the Kemper to its own track.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. So my signal flow is

DI Box --> Interface --> PT (mono track)

The DI is captured on this track, then there's and insert that sends the signal out to the Kemper via SPDIF

The output of the track then goes to a stereo track capturing the amped signal.

Quote:
Having said all that, 90% of my Kemper recordings are done mono(the other 10% are not my choice). The stereo FX in the Kemper can be replaced with plugins while tracking, and that has the added advantage of cleaner punch-ins and the ability to change your mind later on. Now there is the age-old argument to commit to a sound and recording it, but that would/could negate the need for the "dry" recording anyway
I agree with that and that is pretty much what my work flow is. One reason people who commit to tones do track a DI as well is that it's easier to edit using the DI track.

For the sake of filling in all the gaps, what I'm doing is strictly for song writing. I always capture the amped signal capture the amped signal so it there no matter what my setup, and the DI in case I need it later.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Well, not sure I can offer much else, but FWIW, as fine as the SPDIF connection works, running analog thru Neve mic preamps actually sounds better to me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Well, not sure I can offer much else, but FWIW, as fine as the SPDIF connection works, running analog thru Neve mic preamps actually sounds better to me
I agree, but I'm doing that before I even hit the DAW.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:56 AM

Why not just put up a mono/stereo plug-in, make it inactive - NOT bypassed - and be done? I do it all the time to send a mono track to stereo plug-ins.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-25-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Why not just put up a mono/stereo plug-in, make it inactive - NOT bypassed - and be done? I do it all the time to send a mono track to stereo plug-ins.
Thanks! I figured this out last night. Not a bad workaround.