Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Default Question on Mixing

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of mixing the first full album I've ever recorded with my band. My question is this, I generally like the sound better with a compressor like SMACK across the stereo buss. But should I mix a tune or the whole album this way. Obviously it's coloring my decisions from the get go. Should I make all other decisions first and then as the last step put on some mixbus compression? And,lastly, should I deliver the final mix of the whole CD to be mastered with the mixbus compression on the cuts? Or will this result in too much compression or limit the choices of the person mastering the CD?

Any input appreciated! Thanks....Lonny Jarrett
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Question on Mixing

You have a wide range of questions here....so let me say this:

Whatever you decide, while you're mixing have a CD playing that you can reference to help keep you on track. Then when you think you have a mix, burn a CD of it and listen in your car or wherever you like to again, compare with things you know.

I start with the buss compression in place. However, I've done this a long time and know how to set my gain structure up. You should get things in a basic level, making sure the master level is good, then add the buss compression.

If you add the buss compressoin at the end of the mix, things may change in ways you don't want. You want to mix into the compressor so you know what you're doing. For that matter, I would mix the entire album with whatever compressor you like as that gives the album some sense of sonic cohesion.

Now as to mastering...so much depends upon who is mastering and if they have their ego in place to leave well enough alone. (Some guys feel they have to justify their rate and do too much.) So choose your mastering person carefully. Get a well exprienced engineer, not somebody who has as much or less exprience than you. What I will often do if I'm not certain about things is to bring a mix by the mastering house before the day of the mastering session and get some feedback. Book the date and ask if you can do this. I've never known an engineer to say no to this as it helps them do a better job by giving a chance detect problems that you can fix. That's also a good time to check out your buss compression. You can bring a mix with and without it and see what sounds best.

Big rule....DONT OVER COMPRESS!!!! Compression is the most permanent thing you can do. Once done you can't take it away. Mastering can add if needed, but if you give it to him squashed, there's nothing he can do.

Best of luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 AM

I very rarely compress anything. And when I do - I only make sure that the signal is evened out. If I can actually hear the compression I ride the threshold back. I hate it when I cant hear my transients.

I start off with doing a basic volumes setup of the instruments. When they sound nice I'll add a L2 or Steven Massey Limiter on the master out. Then I'll limit very little only to get an Idea of the song when it's finished. Now I'll start to mix and the Limiter stays in.

This setup happened actually by mistake as I once forgot to remove the L2 - but I liked that way of working. In addition - I like to know what my mix is going to sound like when its finished WHILE I'm mixing it. I dont like to think "Yeah Yeah, once it's mastered it is going to sound cool...." Naaa - I wanna do the work and I wanna decide what that baby gonna sound like.

I know pretty famous mixers who mix thru'

1) LinMB
2) LinPhaseEQ
3) L2

From the start... Some say it is too much of the good stuff... I says : If it sounds good, it is good... Who cares how they made it.

So IMO - leave that SMACK on the master and try and get a good mix. Aint no right and wrong in this bizz... That is what makes it so damn beautiful
Old 05-09-2008, 03:51 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I have SMACK and just ordered the Chandler TG compressor which I've heard a lot of good things about. I also ordered the Cranesong Phoenix. I like the idea of doing a final mix with and without compression and letting the engineer decide.-Regards, Lonny