Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Default No AAX plugins???

Just upgraded to the much-hyped HDX system. Let's just say there are several annoyances related to this upgrade, all conveniently left out of the Avid marketing uber-hype. Things like, you can't even get a cable over 12.5 feet long to connect the new interfaces to your computer. Things like, they changed the connectors on the interfaces to new mini connectors that require special adapters that cost $50 each and are a special order. But the crown jewel, the ultimate absurdity, is that the HDX card is touted as being more powerful than HAL 2000 or, in their own words: "With Pro Tools|HDX, you get up to 5x more power per card than Pro Tools|HD Accel, so you can focus on your mix—not your mixer—and do much more with less."
Oh, you'll do more with less alright because there are NO dsp plugins besides the Pro Tools EQs and compressors, etc.! But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand that the product being advertised will be completely useless until some imaginary point in the future. Hey, I guess I should look on the bright side- I can run 500,000 Digi 7 band EQs with virtually no load on my system!
Someone please correct any part of this post that is inaccurate regarding my grievances and I will be happy to recant. Until then, Caveat emptor.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 AM

Default Re: No AAX plugins???

You are correct sir, that´s why I´m staying on HD3 until Pro Tools 11 is out.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 AM

http://www.airusersblog.com/aax-database/

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand
Research is always good.

I'd return it. Surely your dealer has a return policy?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM

Wow that is a short list, Russ!

With no AAX VI's, (DSP or Native.) it could be a very long time before I make the switch...

My HD3 rig is is working very well right now, and I am very thankful for what I have.

Still no new mac pros either...

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Still no new mac pros either...

Rubicon
Soon I hope

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
Just upgraded to the much-hyped HDX system. Let's just say there are several annoyances related to this upgrade, all conveniently left out of the Avid marketing uber-hype. Things like, you can't even get a cable over 12.5 feet long to connect the new interfaces to your computer. Things like, they changed the connectors on the interfaces to new mini connectors that require special adapters that cost $50 each and are a special order. But the crown jewel, the ultimate absurdity, is that the HDX card is touted as being more powerful than HAL 2000 or, in their own words: "With Pro Tools|HDX, you get up to 5x more power per card than Pro Tools|HD Accel, so you can focus on your mix—not your mixer—and do much more with less."
Oh, you'll do more with less alright because there are NO dsp plugins besides the Pro Tools EQs and compressors, etc.! But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand that the product being advertised will be completely useless until some imaginary point in the future. Hey, I guess I should look on the bright side- I can run 500,000 Digi 7 band EQs with virtually no load on my system!
Someone please correct any part of this post that is inaccurate regarding my grievances and I will be happy to recant. Until then, Caveat emptor.
No disrespect at all, but everyone who is unhappy with HDX always says "But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand" so really.......
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM

im pretty sure u can still use TDM plug ins... by the time HDX is all AAX all the TDM plugs should be ported over
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
im pretty sure u can still use TDM plug ins... by the time HDX is all AAX all the TDM plugs should be ported over
TDM does not work with HDX
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
No disrespect at all, but everyone who is unhappy with HDX always says "But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand" so really.......
Well, one would think that a product being hyped to the 9's for months, then rolled out and delivered to customers who pay thousands of dollars for it would actually have available the items required for it to meet the aforementioned hype. I don't think it's unreasonable to have that expectation. Why else would one purchase the product? They don't advertise it with the caveat that there will be no way to actually USE the thing until some arbitrary point in the future or that there aren't actually any plugins that will work on it. That part is conveniently left out. It's a farce. Who would think that Pro Tools HD(X), the point of which is to have DSP plugins, would be shipped with hardware that has virtually no software to perform the task for which you bought it in the first place! It's not like this (DSP powered plugins) is some new territory for Pro Tools HD or some radical departure. It's the actual REASON we buy it. So really...