Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Dubstep help with Vacuum Plugin

I've got a decent "wobble"bass sound going at the moment with the vacuum plugin. Only problem is that the rate at which the wobble happens (being controlled by the rate control to the right of the mod wheel and arpeggio controls in Vacuum) is slightly off time. Or more precisely it slowly goes in and out of time. Any one have any experience using this feature to do something similar to what im doing? This is my first try at making dubstep. Any help or any other tips on how to get a good dubstep sound would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Dubstep help with Vacuum Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkle View Post
I've got a decent "wobble"bass sound going at the moment with the vacuum plugin. Only problem is that the rate at which the wobble happens (being controlled by the rate control to the right of the mod wheel and arpeggio controls in Vacuum) is slightly off time. Or more precisely it slowly goes in and out of time. Any one have any experience using this feature to do something similar to what im doing? This is my first try at making dubstep. Any help or any other tips on how to get a good dubstep sound would be greatly appreciated.
Draw the automation by hand until you are satisfied. Targeting the cutoff ofcourse
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM

doesnt the cutoff just control where in the sound you want it to do the wobble? How would i get it so i can record automation from my mod wheel controlling the Mod LFO Rate? Or do like you say and draw it in? Ive enabled the Mod LFO Rate for automation, but the knob does not respond when setting track to touch and selecting the mod wheel. The knob only responds when i right click-learn midi cc on it, but i dont know how to get that to record. I may mess with the cutoff some after, but right now id like to control how fast the "wubwub" is going via the mod lfo rate.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 PM

can anyone tell me why the "wah" may be getting out of time? I would think there would be a way to control how fast it is being modulated or "wahwah"-ing while staying in time, like the the arpeggiator allows with its rate control. Even while trying to draw in the automation for the mod lfo rate it becomes out of time and seems impossible to find the exact rate at which it will stay in time. Is there any way to figure out the rate, or anything else that may be able to help me?

again any other dubstep related tips would be much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 PM

How long before it becomes noticeably out of time? Have you tried re-triggering every few bars?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM

it actually starts a little bit out of time for 2 bars then comes in time for roughly 20 bars then back out. What do you mean by re-triggering? If you mean having it play a new note then, yes i have a riff set up playing 4 notes over two bars, with differing lengths on each. The wobble also seems to start at the top of the wobble rather than the bottom, as in starting with more high end and dropping to heavy low end and back up, making the wobble. Would there be anyway to make it start coming from the low end to high end?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM

also not sure how this could help, but i set the arpegiator rate at 1/8 triplet, and with the arpegiator on, that is the rate that im trying to get the mod lfo rate to be...or at least at certain parts in the song. Point being that the arpegiator is in time with the riff at this setting. With the arpeggiator on you can hear it shift slowly from all high end and being in time to out of time and all low end. I also appologize for my synthesizer noobness. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 PM

are there any other controls on the vacuum plugin that could effect the mod lfo rate ? or knock it out of time slightly like this?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM

or is there a way to turn the mod lfo rate off completely and use just the cutoff rate to control the wobble?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that Vacum's LFO doesn't sync to tempo hence why your wobbling is going out of time.

Best bet is to either do it in a different synth, or automate the filter cutoff as mentioned above. Make sure you un-assign the LFO to control filter cutoff, then draw in filter automation in your MIDI editor.

The good thing about doing it this way is that you can draw the automation in different timing intervals which is the way most Dubstep wobble bass works anyway. Even if you did have the LFO sync, you would more than likely automate the LFO to achieve the desired sound.