Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-04-2020, 03:30 PM

Default String Quartet Intrument Samples/Patches/???

I’m scoring a string quartet right now and I’m in need of a decent set of virtual instruments to render the midi.

I’m a real newbie when it comes to this (I’ve only used piano sample in the past). I have access to a few “strings” libraries, but they are almost all orchestral and/or really artificial sounding.

I need INDIVIDUAL violin, viola and cellos, not orchestral string sections. They don’t have to be spectacular samples, but at least believable sounding.
And since this is likely to be one-off project I’d like to keep the cost at a minimum.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 PM

Default Re: String Quartet Intrument Samples/Patches/???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlecat View Post
I’m scoring a string quartet right now and I’m in need of a decent set of virtual instruments to render the midi.

I’m a real newbie when it comes to this (I’ve only used piano sample in the past). I have access to a few “strings” libraries, but they are almost all orchestral and/or really artificial sounding.

I need INDIVIDUAL violin, viola and cellos, not orchestral string sections. They don’t have to be spectacular samples, but at least believable sounding.
And since this is likely to be one-off project I’d like to keep the cost at a minimum.

Any suggestions?

Sonivox's "Film Score Companion" sounds like it is right up your alley. But make sure you look into the package deal if you look into it. Buying the plug-ins in it individually costs a lot more. Though the load times are a bit sluggish and when it comes to orchestral v-instruments, they are not my favorite, they are still pretty cool plug-ins and for the money you can't beat them. You get 5 plug-ins in the package deal: Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, a sampled Steinway, and one called Cinematic Percussion.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Rock View Post
Sonivox's "Film Score Companion" sounds like it is right up your alley. But make sure you look into the package deal if you look into it. Buying the plug-ins in it individually costs a lot more. Though the load times are a bit sluggish and when it comes to orchestral v-instruments, they are not my favorite, they are still pretty cool plug-ins and for the money you can't beat them. You get 5 plug-ins in the package deal: Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, a sampled Steinway, and one called Cinematic Percussion.
And just as a head's up, if interested, on the Sonivox website it is listed for 250 dollars, but at Plugin Boutique you can get it for 20 dollars. Pretty big price difference, so thought I would throw that in.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlecat View Post
... need INDIVIDUAL violin, viola and cellos ... keep the cost at a minimum...
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...lharmonik-2-ce
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-27-2020, 02:11 PM

I second the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE suggestion above as well. If you have the money, get that one instead of the Sonivox package. You can always upgrade to the full version through IK if you want later down the line without paying the full price.

Having said that, the Sonivox package is still pretty cool and less money, so it may be the better option for you personally going by the description of what you are looking for and why.