Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 - Make money instead of performance

I'm very disappointed about Pro Tools 10 and now it's time for me to say goodbye to PT. I switch to Nuendo and I will say why:
For years, the PT-user like me are waiting for a 64-Bit-Solution. I'm tired about the memory problems under Windows 7. Steinberg has solved the problem long time ago. I don't need PT 10 with Clip-Gain or 32-Bit-Floating. I can't work professional with Pro Tools with permanent memory problems. Why should I upgrade to a new and very expensive version, if user can't work with the old? Version 9 is still not stable and PT turn to 10! Avid are not able to solve problems but moving problems from one Version to another. Look to the German music-companies like Steinberg, RME, Brainworx, Neumann etc. Since Avid, PT turn backwards! Hey, good morning Avid! You are on the sinking ship. But sorry without me! Keep on sleeping!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 - Make money instead of performance

Well, good luck!
As a side note: pro tools 9 was rock solid here on multiple machines, and pt 10 is probably the best release ever. Completely suitable for professional work in my opinion. You can find many users here who have great success with pt and win 7.
With all due respect, but your analogy with the german companies is only partially true. Look at steinberg: many pros left them as they left unbelievable nember of bugs in nuendo for many years, etc.
neumann: don't get me wrong, but they are not really the same as once...

Nuendo is a great software. I hope you'll get what you are looking for.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Well, good luck!
As a side note: pro tools 9 was rock solid here on multiple machines, and pt 10 is probably the best release ever. Completely suitable for professional work in my opinion. You can find many users here who have great success with pt and win 7.
With all due respect, but your analogy with the german companies is only partially true. Look at steinberg: many pros left them as they left unbelievable nember of bugs in nuendo for many years, etc.
neumann: don't get me wrong, but they are not really the same as once...

Nuendo is a great software. I hope you'll get what you are looking for.
Still some good points here.
"Avid are not able to solve problems but moving problems from one Version to another".
+1
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhall View Post
Still some good points here.
"Avid are not able to solve problems but moving problems from one Version to another".
+1
While I agree, the fact remains, there is no 100% bugfree software exist.
So now, we should start to blame all the software companies.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm very disappointed about Pro Tools 10 and now it's time for me to say goodbye to PT. I switch to Nuendo and I will say why:
For years, the PT-user like me are waiting for a 64-Bit-Solution. I'm tired about the memory problems under Windows 7. Steinberg has solved the problem long time ago. I don't need PT 10 with Clip-Gain or 32-Bit-Floating. I can't work professional with Pro Tools with permanent memory problems. Why should I upgrade to a new and very expensive version, if user can't work with the old? Version 9 is still not stable and PT turn to 10! Avid are not able to solve problems but moving problems from one Version to another. Look to the German music-companies like Steinberg, RME, Brainworx, Neumann etc. Since Avid, PT turn backwards! Hey, good morning Avid! You are on the sinking ship. But sorry without me! Keep on sleeping!
Instead of paying 1k+ for Nuendo and having to learn a new DAW, you could have taken the $300 for the PT upgrade and bought VE Pro. Memory problem solved.

Also, PT 9 is solid for me. I'm scratching my head at those saying it is not stable. I guess it comes down to the computer components, audio interface, drivers, etc.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM

In all fairness to the OP, if he is running heavy, RAM hungry VIs; I understand. PT will not handle these without the use of VEPro or other application as a ReWire slave. I prefer to stay in PT and use the Rewire solution, but to each his own.

I do look forward to the day when Pro Tools will handle composer’s needs as well as audio. Until then, most of us add Reaper or VEPro.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
In all fairness to the OP, if he is running heavy, RAM hungry VIs; I understand. PT will not handle these without the use of VEPro or other application as a ReWire slave. I prefer to stay in PT and use the Rewire solution, but to each his own.

I do look forward to the day when Pro Tools will handle composer’s needs as well as audio. Until then, most of us add Reaper or VEPro.
+1

I would just say, to anyone who fits the above description, take a look at one of the VI hosts before spending more time and money to switch DAWs. And, as others have pointed out, VE Pro will still have its uses with any 64 bit DAW depending on workflow.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Hasta la vista, Bebe...
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Hello musician,

thanks for your good advice. In my opinion it would be the responsibility of the manufacturer AVID to provide us with such tools, like VE Pro. By the way another German spoken product from Austria too. There is also a shame that Avid provides PT with no VST-Interface. Users need another third-party-solution. The future lies in open systems and compatible connections. The new ASIO-driver from version 9 is the beginning of a new aera. But it takes too long. And the reason is the huge company Avid. Dinosaurs die out sooner or later. Sorry, but this is not meant any harm. This is a short and clear analysis of the status quo of PT 10.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Look at steinberg: many pros left them as they left unbelievable nember of bugs in nuendo for many years, etc.
Ditto. I left Nuendo over a year ago for ProTools because of video sync problems that were being completely ignored (among other issues). I reported bugs, and waited sometimes 2 years to see a fix - some were never even logged as far as I know.

A few days ago I reported a problem with midi tracks in large templates in PT10 to Avid Support (only really affects composers like myself). Avid support followed up with me to nail down the scenario, recreated it there, and the bug is now logged. Avid has some great people working support (and other areas as well).

I'm sure there are differing stories, but so far the difference between Nuendo and ProTools has been night and day. PT8, 9 and 10 have all been very stable here.

Yes, VEPro is an excellent solution for VIs - and not as a workaround, but a very powerful alternative to hosting everything in every session/project, even with 64-bit DAWs.

That said, if you prefer Nuendo or Cubase, then that may be a better choice for you.