Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Automation - volume is not written with Tascam us-2400

An then all of a sudden, pro tools doesn't write volume automation anymore... I Have Pro Tools 11 and a US-2400 on a macbook pro 8,2. I have been working on this project for days now, only had minor problems with the HUI. Now it doesn't want to write volume automation anymore. Pan e,g, does still work - strange... I deleted the prefs, checked the automation-enabled settings. Every track is on touch... Nothing :-s
Old 12-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Automation - volume is not written

Did you Cmd-click "Volume" when the track view was set to "Volume" , by any chance ? (If so, do it again)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 AM

I tried importing to a new session, I also tried a complete new session, didn't work out...
Volume automation is not disabled in none of the sessions
Old 12-14-2014, 08:40 AM

strange thing is that the rotation knobs on my us-2400 are working, that automation is written...
Old 12-14-2014, 04:03 PM

I started from scratch, installed Mavericks an PT 11, driver for my tascam. The problem persists.
I tried this: I made an empty session, put the tascam in flip-mode (send level) and moved the fader up and down very slowly, just one time. When I play the session I got this very strange behaving fader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2hkydX8TQ
I can do this only once, only in flip-mode, when I try to automate anything else on that track, no 'touch' seems to be recognized.

What on earth?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Default Tascam us-2400 behaving very strange

I can't figure out what or where the problem is situated. Everything worked pretty good (under Yosemite:PT11), until suddenly overnight my Tascam stopped writing the volume automation. I didn't change anything, it just stopped working...

I did a full reinstall: Mavericks from scratch, PT 11, drivers for my digi002 and the us-2400. It just didn't change the malfunctioning faders/automation.

I can still write automation with the turning knobs and I can write "some" automation in flip-mode with the faders: I made an empty session, put the tascam in flip-mode (send level) and moved the fader up and down very slowly, just one time. When I play the session I got this very strange behaving fader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2hkydX8TQ
I can do this only once, only in flip-mode, when I try to automate anything else on that track, no 'touch' seems to be recognized. So I can do this one time on every track.

It doesn't seem to be a software issue, I can write automation (e.g. sends) with the mouse on an onscreen fader. Is it a driver issue? Is there a way to full reset my us-2400? Or is it a hardware issue? And if so, can this be fixed?

Configuration: MBP 8,2 - Tascam us-2400 straight in the USB of MBP - digi002 - OSX Mavericks/Yosemite
Old 12-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Thanks Niner for thinking along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post

If you unplug the Tascam (or not) does your session still record volume moves made with the mouse via the mix window ok?

Does unplugging the mouse change anything for the Tascam's behavior?

Is PT (or the OS) getting hung up between two different data streams?

Is it possible that your Tascam driver might be pre-Mav?

If you create a completely new session, does the problem persist?

Is there a factory reset for the Tascam hardware?
when writing automation by mouse and unplugging the tascam, the mouse automation is still recorded, also when plugged in again.

Unplugging the mouse is rather difficult as it is a bluetooth mouse :)

PT did never hung, also OSX didn't

Definitely the driver is pre-mavericks, but it did even work under yosemite for some weeks... I did install the soft lcd drivers from http://tascam.com/product/us-2400/downloads/

New session, new install, the problem persists...

Please anyone tell me there is a factory reset I can't seem to find it...
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 PM

One more thing: when I change a fader (which is not written), it only revert to it's "position" (as it seems to be in read mode) when there is a automation point. So if there is no automation at all on that track and I change the position of the fader, this position is not changed by the tascam. If I made a mix (finger on fader all the time), fader goes straight back to the automated position.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Tascam us-2400 behaving very strange

Can you record the US2400's MIDI data into another program or system to verify it is actually working properly? Are you sure it's in Pro Tools mode?
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Tascam us-2400 behaving very strange

if you open the Automation Preference Window is Write Automation turned on?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig