Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Strange noises coming from Adam Audio A7X studio monitors

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum... Anyway, I recently bought an Adam Audio A7X monitors (pair) + Sub10 Mk2 subwoofer bundle - and I really like the setup! Unfortunately one of the A7X units makes a strange noise - and the two replacement A7X units I've received (from B&H) also made the same noise! I made a YouTube video with audio clips and tons of information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNKI2YCZcM

I figure there are some A7X owners on here... Have any of you heard noises like this coming from yours? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Strange noises coming from Adam Audio A7X studio monitors

How do you have the Adams connected to your interface? Is everything plugged into the same AC power outlet/strip? Hard to hear/tell exactly whats coming out (YT has never been great on fidelity). Could also be the power supply in the Adams for the amps as it's probably a switcher and they can make all kinds of noise if not properly done.

Have you tried switching the connections to the speakers swapping left for right, etc.? Does it still make the noise when using the sub? Try dropping out the sub and just connect the A7X's direct to your interface. With multiple units doing the same thing I doubt it's the A7X's themselves.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, musicman691. I didn't explicitly state this in the comments for the YouTube video (because I've tried everything), but the A7X units that have made this noise have done so:
  • with or without a cable connected to one of the inputs
  • with the front panel level control all the way down, all the way up and everywhere in between
  • with the level on my monitor controller all the way down, all the way up and everywhere in between
  • connected to the sub's satellite out and not
  • in my studio (with separate circuit for gear and lighting)
  • in my house

So bottom line, it's not any kind of interference from an input signal. Completely independent from input or output level. It's a noise the speakers are making themselves.

Brian
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM

I don't have those speakers, so I can't speak from experience. I assume the weird sound in your video is the high to low, followed by a low to high frequency sound. It sounds like an old tube radio when trying to tune in a weak station (if you even remember tube radios). If the same thing happens in your studio and in your house, then I would agree that it is probably not electrical interference, unless you have another piece of audio gear in both places that is causing some interference.

I would tend to agree with you that the speakers themselves are probably making the noise. Is there a way to contact Adam Audio and let them listen to your video?

Hopefully someone with those speakers will see this thread and chime in.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the response, mjslakeridge. Yeah, I've been in touch with Adam Audio for a while now - just wanted to see if other folks have had the problem to help me (and Adam Audio) diagnose and/or identify units that are exhibiting this problem to help them determine if some bad parts were used in the manufacturing or something...
Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Does it make that oscillating sound just once after you turn the power on, or if you left it turned on for a while longer than in your video, does it repeat? My first thought is maybe they built some "anti-thump" circuitry into the speakers so turning the power on wouldn't make the speakers thump, but the time duration from when you powered them on versus when the sound occurs appears to differ.

But since you have already been in contact with Adam Audio, and if that was the explanation for what you are hearing, they would have probably already explained that.

When I listened to your video, the thing that came to mind was the sound effect at the beginning of the Wing's Back to the Egg album, on the first song Reception/Getting Closer, and at the end of the Reception part of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Ba...gBtirJwLxw5g1f

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Haha, maybe Adam Audio folks are big Wings fans...

From what I've heard, it only does that down-then-up "whoosh" (as I call it) noise once. Doesn't happen again if the speakers are left on, as far as I've heard. I thought it might be some kind of power-on initialization or self-test or something, but the Adam Audio folks I've been in contact with have responded more along the lines of, "That's not right." Also the fact that one speaker does the whooshing really slowly and others have done it faster seems to indicate some kind of problem.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwherry View Post
Thanks for the reply, musicman691. I didn't explicitly state this in the comments for the YouTube video (because I've tried everything), but the A7X units that have made this noise have done so:
  • with or without a cable connected to one of the inputs
  • with the front panel level control all the way down, all the way up and everywhere in between
  • with the level on my monitor controller all the way down, all the way up and everywhere in between
  • connected to the sub's satellite out and not
  • in my studio (with separate circuit for gear and lighting)
  • in my house

So bottom line, it's not any kind of interference from an input signal. Completely independent from input or output level. It's a noise the speakers are making themselves.

Brian
All I can say is ouch.

This reminds me of something that happened to me with a new TV 3 decades back. I worked for RCA at the time and wanted to make use of an employee discount and picked what was a top of the line at that time Proscan TV. Get it home and notice the picture is tilted (this is so far back the TV had a crt screen). Called the people I got the TV from and got another one which had the same problem. Got a third set and it too had the same problem. Turns out the adjustment coil on the back of the crt was set wrong - issue was it was not adjustable as they used to be and was glued in place. Getting in touch with the factory it came out the fixture they were using was screwed up and a whole production run (and then some that used that same fixture) had the issue.

What I'm getting at is maybe Adam got a hold of some bad parts or something in their assembly line got messed up. Would be interesting to see if the units you got were from the same run or not.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:14 PM

That's what I'm thinking too, Jack - and I think Adam Audio might be worried about it as well (they've requested serial numbers of the units affected, etc.).
Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM

How long is the warranty on the speakers? I would leave the speakers on for an extended period of time and listen to see if the sound repeats itself after the initial time. If you can live with the sound at startup (assuming it doesn't repeat), I would continue to use them. Perhaps Adam Audio will figure out the issue over time. I assume these are not cheap, so Adam Audio should be motivated to resolve the issue.