Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Compressor/Limiter for laptop output?

At the ad agency where I work, they often make client presentations using a Mac laptop, and these incorporate video and audio clips of wildly differing output levels. Of course, during the presentation, they wind up lunging for the volume control when a clip comes up that's too loud or too soft.

The presentations are assembled too close to zero-hour for me to help them out by mastering everything to the same perceived level, so I'm wondering if it would make sense to recommend a compressor/limiter of some kind to go between the laptop output and the power amp? I know that will likely create as many problems as it solves, but they've asked me for suggestions, and that's all I can think of. Has anyone else found a suitable solution for this problem? What would you guys recommend?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Compressor/Limiter for laptop output?

sounds like your agency needs to hire someone to spend a few minutes to adjust the various levels to a consistent level.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 AM

Get them a batch loudness processor.
This:http://www.nugenaudio.com/LMB_Loudne..._processor.php
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 AM

Something like this perhaps as a hardware solution at playback:
http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=114
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM

Thanks for your responses, especially nucelar - that looks like exactly what they're asking for, and I had no idea such a unit existed.

I would love to make the adjustments myself, EarHole, but as I said, they put these things together literally ten minutes before they have to play them in presentation, so there's no time.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Keyes View Post
Thanks for your responses, especially nucelar - that looks like exactly what they're asking for, and I had no idea such a unit existed.

I would love to make the adjustments myself, EarHole, but as I said, they put these things together literally ten minutes before they have to play them in presentation, so there's no time.
I understand the situation. Did you try setting up a template that has a limiter and a "Loudness" Meter on it? Then you could try to hit the same LUFS # every time. These are 30-60 second pieces, right? Should be doable even in a fast-paced Ad environment. Heck, you could even put a trim before the limiter. This one 6 dB too loud compared to the last? Bring the trim down as opposed to each item.

To me that is a better solution.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash