How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2019, 12:47 AM

Default Re: iZotope Dialogue Match

I'm in the same boat.

I'm not overwhelmed by it. We have EQ Match, and Ambience Match modules already across multiple iZotope plugins. Which means the $253.99 is paying for the Reverb Match module, to be honest, I would prefer to use a convolution for reverb matching anyway.

For me, this is overpriced for what it is.

A bit of a let down.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:06 AM

Defintenly it isn't working for every scenarios, but sometimes it's pretty good. I upgraded from PPS3 and and got two good reverbs (Stratus3D/Symphony3D) and Dialogue Match for a $399. + it is an AudioSuite with a good and simple UI.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
Defintenly it isn't working for every scenarios, but sometimes it's pretty good. I upgraded from PPS3 and and got two good reverbs (Stratus3D/Symphony3D) and Dialogue Match for a $399. + it is an AudioSuite with a good and simple UI.
I forgot to say - the UI is great. I like how (unlike the Ozone Match EQ) you just press capture and your highlighted audio is in - you need to preview it in real time with Ozone.

I don't need the reverbs, so just the basic module makes most sense for me if I go for it (unless there are upgrade complications further down the line).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I wonder if we're all comparing like-for-like here? Here are my crossgrade options, owning PPS 3.1, Ozone 9 and Neutron 3:

Post Production Pack 4 $399
RX7 reverb bundle $349
Dialogue Match $299

Does anyone see any different prices from these in their accounts and if so what are they? Audiodeluxe offers a 15% discount on these across the board as far as I can see.

Meanwhile, the thing itself. I just did a quick test on a bit audio for a factual series. The boom was very distant and had quite loud buzzy aircon. The radio mic was typically middish and not very nice sounding. iZotope say to clean a reference source first, so did that using Spectral Denoise, then tried the radio mic out on Dialogue Match. It performed well, I found I wanted to increase the EQ module by another 50%. The reverb match seemed natural. Ambience match was fine.

I then did a much more difficult test just to see what happened. Same factual show, some dialogue from within a noisy and very live-sounding interior of a prototype car, with a very short and distinctive reverb, then applying this reference to material recorded on a boom. EQ match was again very good, Reverb Match utterly hopeless and Ambiance Match suffered from that distinctive Frozen effect you get on anything more than a very constant wash.

I was disappointed that Reverb Match failed so badly, reccommending a tail of over a second and the Early Reflection component sounded totally wrong too. You can put some of this down to the internal reverb engine I guess, but I think most of it must be the detection engine wasn't doing a good job. I wonder how well it has been tested in very tight environments requiring only a specific Early Relection profile.

I guess the thing is that of the three modules, only one is new. EQ match - in different versions - I have in Ozone and RX, and ambiance match in RX. Since you have to denoise a reference first for good effect, that actually reduces some of the "it just works" factor for Dialogue Match by adding another hurdle - it would be nice for them to incorporate this engine within Dialogue Match itself and automatically denoise a reference. Typically I don't use Ambience Match all that often, using other tools to get the noise floor low.

So on an initial test, my feeling it is a good tool and well worth it for those routinely doing this kind of work, but its not yet able to handle the very wide variety of environments to make it a no-brainer. EQ Match is oven ready; Reverb Match doesnt work on very tight environments well but good for larger ones; Ambience Match needs a real tech boost to get rid of the frozen effect.

I'm umming and ahhing at the moment about getting just the basic Dialogue Match from AudioDeluxe.
Agreed.. Used it for about an hour last night in demo mode. Pre-Delay seems to be fixable, but I have better reverbs if I can't get them to work. I have all of the Exponential higher end verbs, so that's not a problem. I need to dig into it a bit more in the next day or two. Best thing is the EQ Match.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 AM

I agree with the comments above.
I'm pretty underwhelmed to be honest.
Its pretty useless for DX with tight sounding rooms which represents most of the material that I have to match Production to ADR.
I have some more testing to do but my first few attempts it put a massive reverb tail on from analyzing Dialogue in a small apartment.

I also have RX7 so all I'm getting extra for 299 is reverb match, which doesn't seem to work that well. The 399 upgrade with the 2 Atmos verbs is probably a better deal?

I agree, nice friendly intuitive interface, maybe it will be useful for some things, but not a game changer like RX7 was.

Nice to come here and see these comments anyway, because all the other stuff on the Web seems to be raving about it, I thought maybe I was just using it wrong??
Old 11-14-2019, 04:40 AM

Ok, I changed my mind after using it a bit more and bought it in the PPS4 upgrade bundle.
It worked really well in a few cases and I hope they will improve the Reverb sensing algorithm.