Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM

Default Update for Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R users

Hey folks, I had an interesting thing happen last week. I was overdubbing vocals on a project that has moved back and forth between 2 systems and started having system stops with a -6088 error(attempting to record at 64 with plugins and AUX sends working). The solution to get thru the sessions was to go to 1024 buffer and use LLM(which worked fine). Later on I decided to experiment to see if I could solve the issue and the stop/error problem has been solved by installing a SIIG (Digi-approved) firewire card. I figured all of you using the onboard firewire with this mobo might be interested in that.

On the same project, when the sessions went back to the other studio, they all started locking up and I went to see if I could fix that. The solution was to remove a demo version of Redline Reverb(which still had several weeks of demo time left) from the other studio's computer(since I didn't have that plugin installed, it was inactive while the sessions were on my system). So there's 2 things to remember if your system gets weird AND you have either or both the Gigbyte motherboard and/or a demo of Redline reverb(which sounds really nice BTW)

BTW, I am now running the latest F11 BIOS which is working fine so far(but made no apparent difference anywhere). Remember, if you update your BIOS, you will lose ALL settings so take notes(if you are BIOS challenged like me)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Update for Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R users

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hey folks, I had an interesting thing happen last week. I was overdubbing vocals on a project that has moved back and forth between 2 systems and started having system stops with a -6088 error(attempting to record at 64 with plugins and AUX sends working). The solution to get thru the sessions was to go to 1024 buffer and use LLM(which worked fine). Later on I decided to experiment to see if I could solve the issue and the stop/error problem has been solved by installing a SIIG (Digi-approved) firewire card. I figured all of you using the onboard firewire with this mobo might be interested in that.

On the same project, when the sessions went back to the other studio, they all started locking up and I went to see if I could fix that. The solution was to remove a demo version of Redline Reverb(which still had several weeks of demo time left) from the other studio's computer(since I didn't have that plugin installed, it was inactive while the sessions were on my system). So there's 2 things to remember if your system gets weird AND you have either or both the Gigbyte motherboard and/or a demo of Redline reverb(which sounds really nice BTW)

BTW, I am now running the latest F11 BIOS which is working fine so far(but made no apparent difference anywhere). Remember, if you update your BIOS, you will lose ALL settings so take notes(if you are BIOS challenged like me)
Thanks.

I hope the problem you encountered with the Redline Reverb Demo was because of its Demo status and not the plug itself. Because I was just about to purchase the retail version. Maybe I should wait on that.

I am going to move to LE and the 003 soon. So I will also go ahead and add a SIIG firewire card to the set up. Is the card PCIe or PCI?

Thanks

Philip
Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM

Albee,

Just curious about the SIIG card. Did the SIIG 1394 end up on a different IRQ than the on-board 1394 or do you think it is somehow driver related?

Thanks,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

I don't know how to check on the IRQ so I can't answer that one(unless you can give me directions). I suspect that the onboard firewire maybe was not a TI chipset but I will try to dig deeper.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 PM

I think it is TI chipset (last time I checked). Its likely related to IRQ sharing. You can see devices by IRQ somewhere in the device manager in computer management section.

Albee, did you have any plugins on the inserts of the channels being recorded?
Did you disable onboard firewire in the BIOS for it to work?

Thanks for posting this info.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Good tip Albee. To see IRQs(in xp): right click my computer> properties> hardware tab> device manager> view> resources by connection> + interupt request(irq)

if you have more than one Texas instrumens ohci IEEE 1394 controler, than the onboard may be TI too. IRQ will be (PCI) ## ; if more than one device has same number, they are sharing IRQ!! So which one of my TI chips is which IRQ? your 003 is connected to one of them, so right click> disable device on one of the TI controllers. if pro tools loads, this is not the one you are connected to. if pro tools says: hey!! you can't run this piece without some hardware, then you disabled the one you are connected to. now you know which IRQ is which! to enable, go back to : view> devices by type> right click on device>enable device.

My onboard TI chip shares IRQ with one of my PCI slots!!! DAE 6088 when I'm hooked up that way. My SIIG is on it's own (PCI) 20 IRQ.

oh, if you disabled the device that your interface was on, stay safe and restart your system before ProToolin'
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 PM

I tried the onboard, but was having other issues so I disabled it in BIOS then installed the SIIG and have used that ever since.. seems to work fine.

I may update the bios though. I just get a bit nervous when doing so...

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I tried the onboard, but was having other issues so I disabled it in BIOS then installed the SIIG and have used that ever since.. seems to work fine.

I may update the bios though. I just get a bit nervous when doing so...

Well.. I updated the bios.. F11 I think.. Reset everything in the bios..

Had a couple of issues.. Reloaded everything! (O/S, PT, PLugs).. still getting 6088 errors every time I scroll.. (on a session with 3 audio tracks and NO plugs..)

Sometimes throws a 9060 and I have to restart everything.. (including XP Pro)

I've noticed too that if I start opening and closing a few sessions, it starts giving a "not enough resource to run 'XYZ' plugin.." and then just up and gives me a 9060 with a critical fault.

Only happens with my 8.0.3 cs2 drive though. I'm so tired of this.. I cannot get past 8.0.1.

I've done all the tweaks and recommended settings.. I've cleaned the registry and used a registry cleaner to make sure all of the Nvidia stuff was gone.

Why on earth is this program still so touchy. It's like you have to be a expert on voodoo or something to get it right.

Well.. that's my whinge. Back to re-installing everything again.

Avid, buy Reaper, (or probably any of the others), and watch how it installs.. THAT is how it should be for the best in the business.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 AM

You might try runnning PT as an administrator and turning off UAC if your on w7.
Also in bios you should disable C1E (enhanced halt states) as well as speedstep.
You will also need one of these to run PT.
http://www.luckymojo.com/mojo.html
Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serio View Post
Good tip Albee. To see IRQs(in xp): right click my computer> properties> hardware tab> device manager> view> resources by connection> + interupt request(irq)
Well, my 2 TI firewire chips show up on (PCI)17 and (PCI)18. Separate from each other, but both are sharing with other stuff. I left the onboard firewire working so I have plenty of ports for drives. I'm not confident that I know enough to re-assign anything here and don't want to shoot myself in the foot. I'll read your post thru a few times and think about it(yeah, basically a chicken....)