Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Folder Tracks (videos & blogs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Maybe it's just me but I find the sight of a "faderless" fader [basic folder] in the mix window really disconcerting. Gives me the heebee jeebees.

In theory you could have a mix window with no faders at all. "A non-mix" window.
Oh man, I LOVE this feature. It provides visual cues in the mix window for different sections of the mix. I used to use empty MIDI tracks to accomplish this.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM

A virtual instrument routed to several tracks - for example, a drum kit instrument that feeds separate outputs. Because the instrument is fed from a single MIDI input, there are no MIDI or WAV files on any of the tracks, so they just take up space in the Edit window. But you want the ability to mix each drum output separately. It's a very common scenario for me, and one of my most common uses of folder tracks. Fold up the drums in the Mix window when not mixing drums, unfold them to tweak them. Leave the Edit window folder closed at all times. Very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Humm, interesting since I have so few tracks (relatively speaking) usually between 8-10 on sparse productions and 15-20 on the more complex ones ,I can still see the usefulness, especially in big productions BUT I am curious (not challenging) I am trying to envision as to what condition or specific work flow task where you would want the mix open and edit collapsed ?
Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
A virtual instrument routed to several tracks - for example, a drum kit instrument that feeds separate outputs. Because the instrument is fed from a single MIDI input, there are no MIDI or WAV files on any of the tracks, so they just take up space in the Edit window. But you want the ability to mix each drum output separately. It's a very common scenario for me, and one of my most common uses of folder tracks. Fold up the drums in the Mix window when not mixing drums, unfold them to tweak them. Leave the Edit window folder closed at all times. Very handy.
Humm OK I guess I see what you are saying . I usually "program" my drum kits, and while there is only one drum kit instrument , the separate outputs feed instrument tracks that do have the separate midi notes I play in, on them. Not to mention that given the option for showing either the edit or mixer window full screen with a keystroke or tab , even if the 5 or 6 drum tracks are open in the edit window, they take up no screen real estate while tweaking the mixer .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-07-2020, 02:25 PM

I strongly prefer having the entire drum track as a single MIDI track, but everyone works differently. Anyway, for me, it's perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Humm OK I guess I see what you are saying . I usually "program" my drum kits, and while there is only one drum kit instrument , the separate outputs feed instrument tracks that do have the separate midi notes I play in, on them. Not to mention that given the option for showing either the edit or mixer window full screen with a keystroke or tab , even if the 5 or 6 drum tracks are open in the edit window, they take up no screen real estate while tweaking the mixer .
Old 04-07-2020, 02:54 PM

Biggest thing for me as doing a lot of VI programming is the basic folder is better for organising groups of instruments,I originally thought the routing folder with it's flexibility would be the only one i'd use - but the basic is not subject to the same (old) aux = added midi latency when playing, the routing folder still has this "feature"

workflow is now compose/ track presets are all routed in basic folders to 1+2 then drop to routing folders when done for mix

Would be great to have a convert basic folder to routing folder option to speed this all up

good implementation and i'm sure when the few bugs are ironed out it's going to be the best i've seen in a daw