Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM

Default midi sustains by itself when recording?

Would appreciate any help here..
been tracking midi with PT for 15 years.. now as of this week with no change, when I punch in a midi track I'm playing on my keyboard..ie.. a strings track.. it sustains the last note recorded infinitely while I'm recording the next section .. so you hear a jumbled mess with earlier notes sustaining for no reason.. it only does this when I hit record... basically - the FIRST take, it records my sustain expressions just fine.. ... but when I go to punch in.. it records my notes, but stops recording sustain expressions from my pedal correctly.. it only shows a tiny dot up top every time I tap it.... like it is reversed the on/off all of a sudden.. I've rebooted keyboard.. unplugged and plugged in sustain pedal.. rebooted computer.. still happening. I can't think of any "setting" that would make this happen.. can you? Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Re: midi sustains by itself when recording?

Sounds like an issue I had ages ago. There was a bug when midi merge was turned on which meant the sustain triggering was random.

I’m taking pro tools 11 here so may not be relevant but worth trying switching midi merge off and trying it.

Obviously that has its limitations but worth a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM

thanks. Tried that just now, but still happens. I've even unplugged the sustain pedal.. unplugged the keyboard.. it still sustains infinitely the last note I recorded even though the notes are only held one second.
so frustrating. stuff like this only happens when I have to finish projects before heading out of town on a tight crunch! I've spent 2 hours getting nowhere fixing a prob on a string track that should have taken 3 mins.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM

Hi friend !

Try this :

Right click over the midi merge button and select " latch " as default instead of
" touch " .
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Midi merge
Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi friend !

Try this :

Right click over the midi merge button and select " latch " as default instead of
" touch " .
Is that what Avid calls it? Latch and Touch? They seem like misnomers for MIDI recording as they're references to fader control. Merge (or Combine) and Overwrite (or Replace) has been more of a standard.

Last edited by Eric Lambert; 02-21-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Wow.. I'm been seemingly very familiar with MIDI MERGE for a decade now and had no idea there were further options if you right click the button... and guess what.. that fixed it! No clue why it worked for years before that on the default setting and not today.. but nevertheless, changing that setting fixed the problem.

Thank you (all) very much for the help. You're the best.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:28 PM

Awesome ! Glad it helped .
Old 02-21-2019, 09:48 AM

There is almost always someone in here that knows just about everything. I LOVE this forum. Read it every day. Good job guys!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi friend !

Try this :

" touch " .
Amazing!

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24