Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2016, 08:30 AM

Default The Application Pro Tools has Quit Unexpectedly

Hi,

I just acquired Pro Tools First to replace Pro Tools M-Powered 8 as an update. Was told by several professionals, M-Powered 8 was no longer supported and Pro Tools First would clear up issues that I was having. I also had to acquire a new audio interface, which was M-Audio also giving problems to Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd generation audio interface.

Now, I have never had problems with installing and being able to start working with software until now.

I had to find out that my Microsoft 7 Professional required a special patch, if that is the correct term to install the Scarlett Solo audio interface. I had to take it to my computer repair shop, because I couldn't find where to install the proper patch to have it recognized.

Now, that's installed and I still don't know if it will work because, Pro Tools First will not open. I immediately receive a message when I click on the short cut to open Pro Tools First, The Application Pro Tools has Quit Unexpectedly which means it won't even open. There is nothing indicating that the program didn't properly install, and there is just a box below for me to fill out to send to Avid so they can look into the matter.

Please in going through the many posts indicating one could not open Pro Tools I saw no solutions. I am losing the opportunity to record every day I am unable to launch Pro Tools First.

I would appreciate a solution. Do this, do that and I will be able to start working with Pro Tools First. I don't need to be told look for another program I believe this will work, but I really would appreciate a solution ASAP.

I did not have any problems when originally installing M-Powered 8 or M-Audio.

To say the least this has been extremely frustrating and trying to find a fix so I can start recording using Pro Tools First, is important.

Thank you for your time.

Noel

Last edited by nburndahl; 07-07-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:18 PM

Default Re: The Application Pro Tools has Quit Unexpectedly

Pro Tools First could not be conidered an update for PT8. It is a very limited version intended to get people onto the PT ladder. All you need to run PT 8 M- powered on Win 7 is the 8.05 update. The other problem you will have is if your version of Windows 7 is 32bit. PT First is a 64bit programme, so will not run on a 32bit computer. And yes, PT8 M-powered needs an M-audio interface to work. You will find a link to the 8.05 update for PT8 M-powered on this page.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en393651
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Default Re: The Application Pro Tools has Quit Unexpectedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nburndahl View Post
I just acquired Pro Tools First to replace Pro Tools M-Powered 8 as an update. Was told by several professionals, M-Powered 8 was no longer supported and Pro Tools First would clear up issues that I was having.
Have you taken these problems you are having back to the professional who suggested you go this route?

Did you ask here for help with whatever problems you were having before with M-Powered? Did you get help?

Quote:
I had to find out that my Microsoft 7 Professional required a special patch, if that is the correct term to install the Scarlett Solo audio interface. I had to take it to my computer repair shop, because I couldn't find where to install the proper patch to have it recognized.
We have little chance of guessing what this "special patch" was. I'm pretty sure it had a more descriptive name. "ASIO4ALL" maybe?

Unfortunately there has been lots of issues with Focusrite lower-end interfaces and Windows drivers. You can read about them by searching on DUC or Google. Some folks are using beta drivers or ASIO4ALL to get around those issues.

Quote:
I would appreciate a solution. Do this, do that and I will be able to start working with Pro Tools First. I don't need to be told look for another program I believe this will work, but I really would appreciate a solution ASAP.
You quite likely do need to be told to look for another program. Wether you want to hear that or not is likely something few folks here care about. Pro Tools First is a crippled mess that can't even open your existing Pro Tools 8MP sessions, can't save sessions offline, and seems to be pretty unreliable for many users.

If you want help from others here on bang your head agains this one you need to start at the "Help us Help You" link up the top of this page.

Read what is expected from you there and post clear information about your setup, starting with a SiSoft Sandra Report.

Describe carefully what this magic "patch" was.

Have you read and are you carefully following the Pro Tools First Installation documentation?

What exact Focusrite driver and version did you install?

Did you also install ASIO4ALL?

*If* you are trying to use ASIO4ALL have you read the ASIO4ALL documentation?

*If* you are trying to use ASIO4ALL what does the ASIO4ALL control panel show? Post a screen shot.

What playback engine are you trying to use?

Hold down 'N' while Pro Tools is starting up and keep it held down.

- Does it crash now or do you see a Playback Engine Dialog box?

- What options show up as playback engine choices?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-09-2016 at 04:38 PM.