Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2000, 02:51 PM

Default Reducing computer noise

Does anyone know of glass rack doors or any other way of cutting down on the computer and drive noise in the studio? By the time you have the cpu and a stack of cd, tape and hard drives there's a true annoyance. I have the cpu below the console and the removeable drives above (they could go below if there was a way to cut down the noise) Any ideas

thanks
Old 03-03-2000, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Reducing computer noise

awhile ago there was a thread where someone was talking about a box that had built in (quiet) ventilation fans as well as sound insulation. Of course, I can't remember for the life of me what that device is called, but I figured I'd bounce this to top and hopefully someone out there will remember.
Old 03-03-2000, 04:15 PM

It was me...I simply build a box around the computer using 3/4 inch thick particle board, drywall screws and "liquid nails" glue with a piano-hinged door on the front...I design it so that the computers' fans move all the air by gasketing the computer in appropriate places (using self-sticking type door-foam gasket strip from the hardware store) within the box and providing labyrinth-like passages for the air..air will go around corners easily, sound will not. They turn out really quiet, and take an investment of about two hours and a sheet of particle board & some hardware.

Here's a typical drawing I did for another guy, just to give you the idea....
http://www.heartmagic.com/CPUquietBox.jpg
Old 03-03-2000, 04:18 PM

If you can put an air conditioning duct into the box, you can build one with 1/2" plywood lined on the inside with corning microlite covered with cloth, then just hang a hinged door on the front. I'm sure someone probably makes the "studio" computer housing if you want to spend some money. How I got around the noise problem is by getting the Geffen systems extender boxes which allowed me to put my CPU 50 feet away in another room. I'm using a 9600/350 and have never had a problem with it. I don't know if they have a USB version out yet, or if you even need an extender for USB, but it helped with the monitors and apple serial issues.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 03-03-2000, 05:32 PM

I've used 6 foot monitor and ADB extension cables with success for the past five years on desktop Power Macs. It gives just enough length to put the comp in an adjacent room. I've noticed a little bit of monitor aliasing but absolutely no probs with Waves dongles or OS....plan on doing alot of walking if you are burning CD's or using periphs.
I like Gary's CPU quiet box drawing and may give that a try!
Old 03-03-2000, 06:01 PM

somebody here in Nashville has started building quiet racks. I think they call them "isobox", but I'm not sure. Here's the number for our pro dealer who sells them and would know if there are any others available. I plan on moving my system into a quiet rack when I know it doesn't need to be moved anymore. Good luck
--Shawn

Here's my guy
Frank Conway, Audio One
(615)341-0056
Old 03-03-2000, 06:33 PM

computer in the next room gets my vote
for lowest possible noise floor, monitor
extentions affect image quality however...
i am suspicious of "isobox" as it has fan noise of it's own to deal with
Old 03-04-2000, 09:14 AM

Here's the site for the place in Tennessee. Thier stuff looks great. As for the fan noise, thier are fans designed to operate quietly: You just won't see one on a hard drive. I'm a fan of having the computer in the control room for access to the internal CD, and for hard reboots (especially for G4 OS9 users!) The geffen system is a good idea also, but what if you have two monitors?
http://www.custom-consoles.com/isobox.htm

enjoy!
ps
Old 03-04-2000, 09:18 AM

actually, the isobox's fans are isolated as well. the first time i saw one, it had a computer, two glyph trip racks (which sound like jet engines), expansion chasis, and ups system in it. I was amazed at how quiet it was. It was a lot quieter than the current config my system is in, which is in the next room. More noise comes thru the hole the cables are passing thru than comes out of the isobox. food for thought.
--Shawn
Old 03-04-2000, 09:28 AM

actually, the isobox's fans are isolated as well. the first time i saw one, it had a computer, two glyph trip racks (which sound like jet engines), expansion chasis, and ups system in it. I was amazed at how quiet it was. It was a lot quieter than the current config my system is in, which is in the next room. More noise comes thru the hole the cables are passing thru than comes out of the isobox. food for thought.
--Shawn