Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Default recording with plug ins on the track

can you record with plug ins on the track, and no latency in pro tools TDM and pro tools HD. here is my problem i like to monitor with plug ins on the track but havent been able to without latency in PT le. My current setup is a G5 and an 002 rack. So im thinking of trying to find an old mix plus system for tracking. Will I still have latency when tracking with plug ins?? or will i be a happy camper?? also has anyone recorded with auto tune on the track live without problems? please dont flame on me for wanting to sing with auto tune live thanks. also does any one know of any host based programs where i could use plug ins while recording without latency? thanks for any help
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Default Re: recording with plug ins on the track

It depends on the plugins. Many have little to no latency, while others have anywhere from 1 sample to over 8000 samples. Since the only way for Pro Tools(or any DAW) to compensate is by making other tracks LATER, there is no way to record with plugins(if they have latency) without hearing the latency. You are best off not using plugins that have latency(DIGIRACK EQ and BF76 work with none for EQ and compression), Run reverb plugins on AUX tracks. Amp sims........you just have to live with whatever latency they have.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM

U know if u go with a Mix system I think the latest vs of PT that u can use is 6.4 & 10.3.x (can't remember exactly which) & as Albee'sure said, plugs with no latency gives u no issues... I use Auto tune a lot when tracking certain vocalist for pocket reasons & not T-Pain reasons but no latency @all... Verbs, delays & sometimes Amp sims I use quite a bit when tracking on the LE rig...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM

In HD in most cases you have little or no latency (at least no more than ANY digital recorder like Sony 3348). Such a small latency is a problem only in certain cases like cymbals.
there are some plugins that use a large buffer (like limiters with "look ahead" function and some reverbs) but usually TDM plugins are OK.
You'll have latency issues in HD if you use RTAS plugins.

I like to record the plugins sound just as I was used to do with analog consoles. To do that I create Aux tracks of the channels where I put the plug ins and use a bus to send it to the recording track. So all I do with the plugins in the aux gets recorded and I'm able to keep secret my "secret" bass drum or snare eq and compression. ;-D

Also very useful when recording guitars with Eleven.

And you'll have a lighter session when it's mixing time since you will be able to just "disable" the aux channels without loosing the settings used in the record session.

The best

MAx
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM

why do you people always answer everything but the question??? i know you cant use rtas plugins without latency and I know TDM only goes to pt 6.4. I just want to know if you can record mainly auto tune 4 TDM on a TDM system in real time without latency.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Why do people that don't like the answer, gripe about it? Seriously, put the plugin on a track and see what happens. If it works fine and you don't perceive latency, then go with it. If it sucks, then don't use it while recording. FWIW, Autotune 3 shows 1 sample of latency on my LE system. Assuming the report is accurate, then I would have no problem using it while recording as 1 sample is only 1/44100th of a second at 44.1K sampling rate.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Exactly what Albee'sure said... I answered what u asked.. I record with AT ALL THE TIME WITH NO ISSUES & if u know U can only have x version with TDM then say so... We're tryna help u, not u helping us so since we don't answer what u want then find some other source of getting answers... Jeeeeezzz

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 AM

"Autotune 3 shows 1 sample of latency on my LE system" exactly my point im asking about TDM system not LE thanks. Since i dont have TDM i cant try it duh!! i would appreciate answers about TDM system and recording with plug ins only.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 AM

Most people around this forum own or work with both HD and LE, and have a lot of experience with both systems. They are probably not going to help you now because of your condescending tone.

I can't answer, because I've not used Auto Tune with a Mix system, only on HD (with no latency) and LE.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM

3rd Eye is point on...

thatz exactly why we hadn't responded any further...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY