Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Slate VMR releasing on Monday!

For curiosity's sake, what have you substituted for VCC and FG-X?

I've used NLS and PSP Xenon as pinch hitters.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
For curiosity's sake, what have you substituted for VCC and FG-X?

I've used NLS and PSP Xenon as pinch hitters.

Well, VCC I use to add weight. And in a side by side test I found, amazingly, that the "Mkie" console in NLS is "heavier" than anything in VCC. As far as FGX is concerned, I only use it to mock mastering. So I don't really miss it(and obviously I can use it in 10 if I really need), it's just a principal thing that we don't have it and Slate keeps introducing new stuff. Even in that, VCC works inside the DDMF Metaplugin. So if I need it, I can use it. But not having it has allowed me to really appreciate NLS...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
the "Mkie" console in NLS is "heavier" than anything in VCC.
Ok, so it's not just me. It is way more pronounced in the low end than I think it should be, and sounds scooped above it. I never thought I'd use drive at zero on these processors, but I do with Mike. And I really want to like Spike, but I have yet to find an application that Mike or Nevo don't do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
As far as FGX is concerned, I only use it to mock mastering. So I don't really miss it(and obviously I can use it in 10 if I really need), it's just a principal thing that we don't have it and Slate keeps introducing new stuff. Even in that, VCC works inside the DDMF Metaplugin. So if I need it, I can use it. But not having it has allowed me to really appreciate NLS...
Fair points. I was just hoping there was an AAX plug that I haven't heard of, that could stand in for FG-X. Personally, I have been making use of Cosmos and Xenon. But the transient handling isn't quite the same - not better, not worse, just more involved.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:25 PM

I'll be in on vs 1.02 after the initial bugs are worked out. I've learned my lessons about buying ANYTHING that is version 1.0.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Ok, so it's not just me. It is way more pronounced in the low end than I think it should be, and sounds scooped above it. I never thought I'd use drive at zero on these processors, but I do with Mike. And I really want to like Spike, but I have yet to find an application that Mike or Nevo don't do better.

Fair points. I was just hoping there was an AAX plug that I haven't heard of, that could stand in for FG-X. Personally, I have been making use of Cosmos and Xenon. But the transient handling isn't quite the same - not better, not worse, just more involved.

For quick and dirty, I've found plug and mix's ultramaxit to be a really nice limiter. I've never slammed it to see what it sounds like when hit hard, but when I have used it I have been impressed. Plus they had the entire bundle on sale super cheap a while back. And am sure they will again with the holidays coming up.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
they had the entire bundle on sale super cheap a while back. And am sure they will again with the holidays coming up.
Yup, they got my money about six months ago. And, for some reason, I bought the Sonic Sweet plug-in suite about four hours ago. I need to stop being so impulsive, and they need to stop making such great software.

That harmonic maximizer is killer. Just a kiss of it, not too much. Not even the same flavor as those even-harmonic "tube" sims, this one is different.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Yup, they got my money about six months ago. And, for some reason, I bought the Sonic Sweet plug-in suite about four hours ago. I need to stop being so impulsive, and they need to stop making such great software.

Agreed. I bought the sonic sweet bundle when it was released and on sale. I also have several waves plugs I have bought on sale. And I had sworn off waves and sold my platinum bundle years ago lol. I'm sure vmr will be picked up also.

Hello. My name is Matt. I'm a plug in addict.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
⇧⇧What he said!⇧⇧

Shane
Not only what he said but what about, "we will release no new plugs until we finish with VCC and FG-X?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
Not only what he said but what about, "we will release no new plugs until we finish with VCC and FG-X?
YES! Exactly! What happened to that? This company is all over the place and my money has gone elsewhere. I was even considering two Ravens but ultimately decided not to invest deeper into their products. FGX is the last of my unported plugins and yet Slate seems very busy working on other things. Alright, no need to continue beating that dead horse - we all know the story.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Is it just me or did SS say that no new products were to be released before the VCC/FGX updates?

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1