Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-26-2001, 06:10 AM

Default Mic Input Levels (Gain?)

Hi. I am a new Digi001 user and have been wondering what I can do to increase the gain (sorry, I am not sure this is the correct term) signal level when recording.

I use an Audio Technica AT822 sterio condenser mic into inputs 1 & 2 on the front of the Digi001.

Reading the documentation provided with the 001 I see that the suggestion is to obtain as much input level as possible without having any clipping. I don't have this problem at all. With the gain knobs on inputs 1 & 2 turned to the max on the Digi001 box, I can still push the faders to the max and only see the levels in the lower range of the yellow as displayed in the level indicator for the track.

Do I need a different mic? Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to increase the levels through the 1 & 2 inputs? Should I look into a pre-amp and run through it first and then into the 1 & 2 inputs?

I have made sure the -26dB pads are not pushed in.

Thanks for any advice you guys might have. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Mic Input Levels (Gain?)

I need a little more info... what are you trying to record? Is there anyway you can get the mics closer to the source? or make the source louder? I don't have this problem at all w/ my Digi and condenser mics? Do you have the phantom power on? (if they need it?).

chris
Old 11-26-2001, 06:53 AM

I am trying to record Native American flute. So, in a lot of ways it's like recording vocals. Not a lot of volume from the instrument and frequencies mostly in the middle range.

You asked about the mic and it has an internal battery for power. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 11-26-2001, 09:53 AM

My 822 works fine in inputs 1 +2....didi you try changing the battery??? (sorry if that is an insulting question, but mine loses a LOT of output with an old battery...theyu say it runs for 1000 hours + on one AA...It doesn't)
Old 11-26-2001, 10:35 AM

Not an insult. I had this problem from day one and have installed a battery with no apparent change to the input level. Still, it's possible that I have managed to find stale batteries and can try this again.

But I have been browsing these forums and see a lot of discussion chains that seem to be covering similar areas. And not all are just referring to the lil' ol' Digi001 interface. Some are found in the big boys' systems discussions too.

I am beginning to wonder if the Digi001 inputs aren't designed for the optimum and the fault lies in my lack of education.

Still, as the manual says the Digi001 is an exception (to TDM systems I guess) having "two inputs with preamps to which you can connect low-level signals" I would have thought these preamps would supply enough signal amplification to bring the input levels up more than it seems they do.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:07 PM

There Should be plenty of gain on your inputs 1+2...The output of the 822 is relatively hot compared to some other mics. I have used it to track Leslie, acoustic guitar, and acoustic piano all with very acceptable results - Its not a pair of 414's, but its pretty good. Check your cable going into the 001, then try one of the other inputs on the back of the 001....
Old 11-27-2001, 04:49 AM

Thanks Cinemafixer. I went home last evening and played around a little with some things. I found in the archives here at this site an interesting message chain that seemed to offer a way to boost signal using an AUX track and the RTAS Compressor and Limiter.

Just for the record here is what I did. Coming in from the Digi001's number 1 & 2 inputs, I picked up the inputs into a sterio AUX track. I put the compression on this track and boosted the gain just a little, then I put a limiter on this track to insure that the signal strength wasn't too strong. Finally I set the output for the AUX track to the bus from which I picked it up into an audio track which gets recorded onto the hard drive.

I don't know if this is the professional way to do this but it seems to work pretty well. I'd like to know if there's a "better" way to do this because just as I learned when I started programming, I am sure there is more than one way to do it. Like I mentioned yesterday my job keeps interfering with my music but I hope I can now take these tests and do a burn to CD and see if I truely get an increase in perceived volume.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 08:20 AM

If it works....Great! Ive never had to do that, so I wonder whats going on here....Thats a good workaround, though. Good luck, my man
Old 11-29-2001, 12:47 AM

Cinemafixer, just out of curiosity, what signal levels are you getting through the 1 & 2 inputs from the 822? Do you have the gain knobs set up all the way?

Is ther any danger to my Digi001 from putting a preamp in front of the 1 & 2 inputs or would that be too much signal into these preamps?