Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Slow response in pt11

Not sure what happens but using PC win 7 pro pcaudiolabs system optimized for audio. My interface is a focusrite liquid Saffire 56. Trying to use scuffham sgear-2 for guitar but either the saffire control mixer or the sgear-2 causes pt11 to respond very slowly. Impossible to work with that kind of drag between mouse clicks. I have the latest pt11 updates installed as well as the latest saffire mix control and sgear updates. I have plenty of ram 16 gb as well as 2 drives that are 1 tb each.

I am disappointed in pt11 so far, too many issues, if you change anything in mix control pt11 requires a restart. Really? Maybe pt11 doesn't like my saffire 56 or the sgear software.

Anyone that can help me sort thru it all is welcome to chime in.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Slow response in pt11

Hard to tell from your descriptions exactly what you are experiencing.

0. Are you sure this does not happen in other configurations? e.g. if you don't use S-Gear does the problem happen? have you tried removing/uninstalling the S-gear plugins and seeing if Pro Tools 11 works OK (you can't just not use them, you need to remove the plugins from the Pro Tools plugin folder/directory).

1. Much more info needed: Post a Sandra report. Details up under "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" up on the top of this and every DUC page. All the other usual details like session sample rate, some description of the session content/complexity, playback engine settings would help as well. Is the computer fully optimized? Don't assume, double check. What standard troubleshooting steps have been tried, starting with trashing prefs and trying a new blank (not a copy, not from a template) session. Yes all the details are under that link above.

2. Known bug (should have been fixed ages ago, WTF Avid) that causes hanging/very bad UI performance: Have you disabled the floppy drive in the BIOS and/or device manager (yes even if you really don't have a floppy drive).
Old 12-14-2014, 09:14 PM

I am very new to pt11 or pt as a matter of fact. I was referring to first opening mix control and the sgear. Then pt11, opening a new blank session and having extreme slow response to each mouse click. Maybe there is an order for opening each piece of software. I will try and send more info tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:09 AM

Need more info but check this out:

Why is my audio slowed down in Windows 8 when the computer starts?
We are currently experiencing a driver issue that causes audio in Windows 8 to be slowed down when the computer starts up, when using a Scarlett usb interface. This issue will only affect certain systems and there are workarounds to prevent this from happening.

The first workaround is disconnect and then reconnect the usb cable to the Scarlett once the computer has started. The second workaround is to change the sample rate that the interface is running at either in Windows sound preferences or in a piece of daw software. The third workaround, which removes the need to do either of the previous ones, is to disable Windows Fast Boot.

To do disable fast boot please go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Click on "Choose what the power button does" and in the next window untick "Turn on fast start-up". The next time the system starts you should find that the issue does not occur.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.