Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 AM

Default SurrLongDelys???

In my system usage my Core Card has all nine chips full. 1 chip is HD engine and the others are SurrLongDelys what are they and should there 8 filling the chips up on the card

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Re: SurrLongDelys???

It means you have automatic delay compensation enabled on surround mixer
Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It means you have automatic delay compensation enabled on surround mixer

I don’t do any surround mixing only stereo??

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 AM

You can mix stereo with the surround mixer. You may not remember having done this but you might only have the surround mixer active. There are 4 mixer plugins in the plugin folder: stereo, surround, stereo dithered, surround dithered. IIRC, stereo and surround are in the plugin folder and stereo dithered and surround dithered are in the inactive folder.

What many of us did was remove the stereo mixer leaving only the surround mixer in the plugins folder. That forces Pro Tools to always use the surround mixer even for stereo sessions. The reason to do this is the stereo mixer uses a 2.5 pan law (IIRC) and the surround mixer uses the 3 dB equal loudness pan law. In later versions (like Pro Tools 12 and 2018), they made both default to -3 dB and allowed it to be adjustable but in the Core/Accel days, you could not adjust this. Only way to get Pro Tools to use the correct 3 dB pan law was forcing it to use the surround mixer (dithered or not dithered.)

You can quickly check this by seeing what your session setup shows as the pan law. If it shows 3 dB, you are using the surround mixer.

So, your delays would show up as Surround Delays even on mixing stereo if the mixer was the surround version.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info BScout if IIRC I’ve seen the option to adjust/select the pan law on my HD rig. If I’m just mixing in Stereo is it worth me just having the stereo plugin in the folder and not the others ??

Old 04-23-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
If I’m just mixing in Stereo is it worth me just having the stereo plugin in the folder and not the others ??
Long time ago, but as I remember this the TDM mixer never had adjustable pan law unless you count choosing from stereo (-2.5dB) or surround (-3.0dB) so that's one choice you have -- other choice being normal or dithered mixer.

My choice was keeping the dithered surround mixer plugin on the plugin folder and storing the rest in the unused folder. Then as a trick I occasionally swapped to the stereo dithered mixer for final tweaks of my stereo mixes just to get to listen to the mix slightly differently before committing to it.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Thanks for the info BScout if IIRC I’ve seen the option to adjust/select the pan law on my HD rig. If I’m just mixing in Stereo is it worth me just having the stereo plugin in the folder and not the others ??

I guarantee there is no choice on pan law as far as I can remember for Pro Tools that supported the Core/Accel cards. Possibly the last 10HD software but I don't think so. It was strictly by the mixer choice.

As for just using the stereo mixer plugin, sure if you don't use surround at all. However, that -2.5 pan law makes things center focused due to the slight emphasis when you move things to a center (phantom) image. It is a different sound. So if you have old mixes, don't expect them to playback the same. If you start new mixes, you'll naturally compensate for this difference.

Like JFreak, standard procedure for our Pro Tools systems back then was only leaving the surround dither mixer in the plugin folder and putting the rest in inactive plugins. But I work in surround and stereo and it was disconcerting to (A) not have audio sound the same when going from one track type to the other and (B) not to match up with the pretty global standard of -3dB equal loudness (we have audio coming in originating from other programs/recorders that also use -3dB)

I remember when Logic Pro changed their default panning law to -3dB and everyone was going on about how they had improved Logic Pro's sound engine. And all it was about is going to the -3 dB law (since most users never were aware of panning laws in the first place and stuck with the default.) It can make a big difference to mixes (especially if you have mono/center focused vocals or instruments)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Here is a photo of the pan law options on my ProTools10HD rig, I knew I’d seen it some where

Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 PM

Hi,

I think the surround mixer uses more resourses! There's no point using the surround mixer if you're not doing surround mixing. if the pan law you've been using is -3db then switching to the stereo mixer won't change your levels as the stereo mixer is -3db i think on HD10. might have been -2.5 in earlier versions but i'm sure mine measures as -3db. either way its not going to change your mix a great deal just channels that are panned will be very marginally louder, 1/2db on fully panned channels.

Try putting the stereo mixer in and removing the surround mixer and see how it sounds.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.