Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Default Have a Quad Core (Asus P5K). Use Only One Core Active For Best Results? MIDI Issues.

I have been having problems GALORE w/my Asus P5K. I've followed all of the guidelines, all of the tweaks and am still having problems everywhere (Audio Engine Startup Deadline Missed, Running Out Of CPU Power, Play/Pause). I NEVER had any problems on any of my machines using 7.4 (on single core laptops) and definitely no problems using 6.1

I WILL post a Sandra report soon, but even with only the stock plug ins with all unnecessary background services turned off, I get errors (the ones mentioned), crashes, and weird things happening. I am using a ATI graphics card (I'm in D.C. right now, live in NY, so I will post specs when I get back).

This leaves me wondering if PT will run better with only ONE core active. Since on all of the Lenovo laptops prior to my dual core, PT ran FLAWLESSLY on one core, likewise on my old 001 Setup (Asus P4B533, 1.8gHz Single Core), it also ran flawlessly.

PT is advertised as being able to utlitze more than one core, but I can't help but think that maybe a lot of these problems are related core usage. I saw a thread on the Mac Forum of some people reporting that they had more problems running PT on an 8 Core than on a G5 and had better results running PT on one core. I will try this when I get home.

Any suggestions? I'm getting problems when I run only MIDI sessions and using some Plug Ins (sometimes NI Kontakt 3.5, which is 8.0 Compatible, Arturia Analog Factory, Battery 3.5, also 8.0 Compatible).

I have better success and can sequence MIDI faster on my old 1998 era Roland XP60 Music Workstation. In fact, I'm about to buy a soundcard for my Lenovo laptop (the Creative Audigy 2Z) and use it as a virtual soundmodule for my Keyboard's hardware sequence b/c that would be faster! And that is NOT good!

Any comments? I'd appreciate some insight and feedback.

Thanks
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Have a Quad Core (Asus P5K). Use Only One Core Active For Best Results? MIDI Issu

you dont say what version of pt your running. you state 7.4 which can utilize multicore and 6.1 that cant utilize it, have to use one core.

other than that, no that should not be your problem. i typically leave one core off. i have an i7 w hyperthreading i have 8 cores and run it at 7, i ran 3 on my q6600 and 3 on my opteron. safe to leave on core for the computer to run other processes on.

you obviously did not install the latest cs updates for 7.4 either, up to cs10. you should do that immediatly as well.

there are some bios setting that can cause a bit of issues. check the q series sticky at the top of the page. but things like speed stepping can be shut off and a few things like that are problematic.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Have a Quad Core (Asus P5K). Use Only One Core Active For Best Results? MIDI Issu

i'd say your bios settings are probably not set optimally. maybe even somethin' got reset in your bios without your knowin'. it's happen to me also i've mentioned before to you about OC'g your rig to really get the power from it. never got a reply to that. so maybe you are not open to that idea. but it 'does' make quite a difference also how defragged are your drives?? do you do that regularly (no matter your method)?? is your samples drive layout pretty contiguous??

also epu, totally off topic but how are you diggin' K3/K3.5?? i know you are a big fan and user and was wonderin' the difference between it and K2 regardin' lib content?? sorry to go off topic thought i'd get you while i could

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Sorry! I'm running Pro Tools 8 CS3. I'll look into copying out the files to another drive, defragging and copying the files back onto the drive. What BIOS changes should I make other than turning off the JMicron, HD Audio and other unnecessary peripherals?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM

Mykhal C - Kontakt 3.5 is an AWESOME and POWERFUL program. The layout is pretty much the same, and infinitely better than K2. Likewise, 3.5 is more stable, able to take advantage of Multicore Processors and able to address the larger memory available on 64 Bit systems. It's honestly a no brainer. The ONLY downside to Kontakt is that unlike many modern hardware synthesizers, you can't catalog sounds by type (Saw, Lead, etc).

You CAN put sounds in folders, but its not the same. Something like KORE SOFTWARE EDITION (also by NI) may be in line for that task.

I HATE using NI apps (or any VIs) w/Pro-Tools! Because of the many bugs in PT software, or conflicts between them and VIs, there are CONSTANT crashes, hangups, etc. I have ONLY been experiencing this on my current P5K rig, and NEVER had any problems on my single core laptops (Lenovo in particular).

It's to the point where I want to get a second laptop w/an AUDIO CARD (as just mentioned) and just RUN MY VIs OFF OF THAT AS IF IT WERE A SEPARATE SOUND MODULE. 3.5 can run up to 64 instruments in STANDALONE, and that may be my ticket.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
Mykhal C - Kontakt 3.5 is an AWESOME and POWERFUL program. The layout is pretty much the same, and infinitely better than K2. Likewise, 3.5 is more stable, able to take advantage of Multicore Processors and able to address the larger memory available on 64 Bit systems. It's honestly a no brainer. The ONLY downside to Kontakt is that unlike many modern hardware synthesizers, you can't catalog sounds by type (Saw, Lead, etc).

You CAN put sounds in folders, but its not the same. Something like KORE SOFTWARE EDITION (also by NI) may be in line for that task.

I HATE using NI apps (or any VIs) w/Pro-Tools! Because of the many bugs in PT software, or conflicts between them and VIs, there are CONSTANT crashes, hangups, etc. I have ONLY been experiencing this on my current P5K rig, and NEVER had any problems on my single core laptops (Lenovo in particular).

It's to the point where I want to get a second laptop w/an AUDIO CARD (as just mentioned) and just RUN MY VIs OFF OF THAT AS IF IT WERE A SEPARATE SOUND MODULE. 3.5 can run up to 64 instruments in STANDALONE, and that may be my ticket.
epu, thanks for that man. definitely seems like the upgrade is well worth it.

back to your thing...i really think you are dealin' with a bios setting(s) thing. if your cpu or ram are set to 'AUTO' then that is where 'some' of the problems are. the other thing is ram timings. and there are a couple of other settings to concentrate on too. if the rig has always been kinda iffy then i'd say the setup needs to be looked at, no doubt. if you have just started to have troubles then maybe you have a component(s) that are beginnin' to fail. i've got the same mobo and it's been strong since day one. if you wanna set up a time to discuss then hit me up with an email thru the DUC and i'll be glad to share my settings/setup with ya. but you got a strong rig that should not be givin' you the kinda problems you are havin'...unless somethin' is failin'

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff