How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-19-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmansfield View Post
Now my main problem is that Apple no longer has OS X 9 available for download. I have searched their site and found they still have the v. 9.5 combo updater, but not the original release.

I Googled Mac oS X 9 and Mavericks installers but I found mostly Hacintosh hacked versions which I obviously don't want to even try. So, is there anyone who can point me to a Mac installer?

- Colin
Have you checked your App Store account? If you ever downloaded OSX 10.9.x from there it should still be there. The download in your account will be OSX 10.9.5 which is a full installer and NOT a combo updater.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you checked your App Store account? If you ever downloaded OSX 10.9.x from there it should still be there. The download in your account will be OSX 10.9.5 which is a full installer and NOT a combo updater.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my old computer was a Mac Pro 1,1 which topped out at Lion (10.7.5) I bought a newer Mac Pro (2010 -- 5,5) which came with Sierra installed on an SSD. I cloned my boot drive from the older Mac and put it in an open drive bay and from there I was able to update the OS from Lion (10.7.5) to Mountain Lion (10.8.5) from the Apple Store. I needed no workaround to run the installer -- in fact, I didn't even get a hint that I may only be able to move to Sierra, which is why I was surprised that I couldn't upgrade to Mavericks from Mountain Lion.

My older Mac Pro was at its last OS in Lion and I couldn't upgrade it any further. Consequently, I never had Mavericks as an option on either machine...
Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my old computer was a Mac Pro 1,1 which topped out at Lion (10.7.5) I bought a newer Mac Pro (2010 -- 5,5) which came with Sierra installed on an SSD. I cloned my boot drive from the older Mac and put it in an open drive bay and from there I was able to update the OS from Lion (10.7.5) to Mountain Lion (10.8.5) from the Apple Store. I needed no workaround to run the installer -- in fact, I didn't even get a hint that I may only be able to move to Sierra, which is why I was surprised that I couldn't upgrade to Mavericks from Mountain Lion.

My older Mac Pro was at its last OS in Lion and I couldn't upgrade it any further. Consequently, I never had Mavericks as an option on either machine...
You're a little confused - you can move from any lower OSX version to any higher one with your 5,5 provided you can get the installer for the OSX you want to use. Actually you don't need to install an OSX on a drive to install a newer one - you only need the installer for said OSX version. I do have the OSX 10.9.5 full installer downloaded from my Apple account - do you have a DropBox account so I could get it to you?

Unfortunately as it's been said multiple times you won't be able to run PT10 on anything past OSX 10.9.5; PT10 can run on Yosemite but not without severe issues.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're a little confused - you can move from any lower OSX version to any higher one with your 5,5 provided you can get the installer for the OSX you want to use. Actually you don't need to install an OSX on a drive to install a newer one - you only need the installer for said OSX version. I do have the OSX 10.9.5 full installer downloaded from my Apple account - do you have a DropBox account so I could get it to you?

Unfortunately as it's been said multiple times you won't be able to run PT10 on anything past OSX 10.9.5; PT10 can run on Yosemite but not without severe issues.
I may have said things in a confusing manner. I bought the newer Mac Pro a couple of months ago. By the time I started looking for a Mavericks installer (about three weeks ago now) I found that Apple didn't have the installer available for my setup, even though I was logging into Apple Support from my Mountain Lion disk. Searching their support forums I found some threads with answers from Apple Support that said exactly what I found -- Mavericks (and I think El Capitan) was not available if your Mac could go to Sierra.

Yes, I realize that PT 10 isn't reliable past OS X 10.9.5 and know that I will need to update to PT 12-ish should I wish to go any further. But that is very unlikely to happen -- I'm on a (small) fixed income with no room for an updated Pro Tools in the budget and I will need to weld this system shut in the near future. OS X 10.9.5 is the last gasp for this particular set of software (although not for the Mac).

I do have a Dropbox account which is the main reason I embarked on this journey in the first place -- Dropbox will soon drop support for OS X 10.8.5 and earlier but they will continue to support 10.9.5 and above. I am very grateful for your offer and would like to take you up on it -- if you drop me a line at colinmansfield AT me dot com I can send you a link.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I may have said things in a confusing manner. I bought the newer Mac Pro a couple of months ago. By the time I started looking for a Mavericks installer (about three weeks ago now) I found that Apple didn't have the installer available for my setup, even though I was logging into Apple Support from my Mountain Lion disk. Searching their support forums I found some threads with answers from Apple Support that said exactly what I found -- Mavericks (and I think El Capitan) was not available if your Mac could go to Sierra.

Yes, I realize that PT 10 isn't reliable past OS X 10.9.5 and know that I will need to update to PT 12-ish should I wish to go any further. But that is very unlikely to happen -- I'm on a (small) fixed income with no room for an updated Pro Tools in the budget and I will need to weld this system shut in the near future. OS X 10.9.5 is the last gasp for this particular set of software (although not for the Mac).

I do have a Dropbox account which is the main reason I embarked on this journey in the first place -- Dropbox will soon drop support for OS X 10.8.5 and earlier but they will continue to support 10.9.5 and above. I am very grateful for your offer and would like to take you up on it -- if you drop me a line at colinmansfield AT me dot com I can send you a link.
email sent; will be super busy at home the next couple of days so I may not be able to get back to you until late Friday or Saturday

QAPLA!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:51 AM

Hello.

I am refreshing the topic..

I've MacBook Pro 2012 with Sierra system. I'd like install Pro Tools 10 on my Mac because I'm still working on Pro Tools 10 on my PC (Windows).
I has did according to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBhxYAhAJw&t= but after installation Pro Tools doesn't work because stiil see newer system.
I see a lot of peapole have this same problem (install it's ok but PT doesn't working) - "Pro Tools cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Pro Tools works with this version of macOS. etc..."

I tried diffrent way like a change system file but still doesn't working...

Can you help me with this problem?

I'd be greatful.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Will Pro Tools 10 work with mac OS Sierra

Seirra don't work with protools 10 you have to go back to Maverick

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4127 View Post
Seirra don't work with protools 10 you have to go back to Maverick

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Or do the Bootcamp/Windows thing and run PT inside Windows - you'd need Win7 for that though.

QAPLA!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 AM

Yes, I know that PT 10 isn't work on Sierra but in video show how start this program in Sierra.

Downgrade isn,t for me because I' working on Office 2016 which not working on system lower that 10.10...

If I'd like Bootcamp, I didn't buy Mac :)

Any idea?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalosz12 View Post
Yes, I know that PT 10 isn't work on Sierra but in video show how start this program in Sierra.

Downgrade isn,t for me because I' working on Office 2016 which not working on system lower that 10.10...

If I'd like Bootcamp, I didn't buy Mac :)

Any idea?
You've already been told what you need to do. There are two other options though - partition your system drive if you have the space and put OSX 10.9.5 on that (you'll need a full installer to do that). The other expensive option is to upgrade to PT12 which means you'll need aax 64 support for all your plugins.

QAPLA!