Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Default Re: best drum software?????

Seeing the kudos for Superior Drummer I have to ask - do they have DW kits and Sabian cymbals? I have both in BFD3 and would hate to lose them. Not that I'm looking to ditch BFD but it's always good to have alternatives as long as they do the job I need them to do.

QAPLA!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 AM

There are plenty of good drum VI's out there. Superior Drummer 2, Strike, Slate, Native Instruments Drummer series, Addictive Drums, and of course BFD3.

All of them sound good. I prefer BFD3 because of the included Groove Editor and ease of editing. The Groove Editor is very handy as a Pro Tools user since Pro Tools doesn't include a drum editor like some other DAWs. The piano roll is fine, but the groove editor just feels better to me. Strike also has a groove editor.

Try some demos of the ones that have them available.

BFD3 demo
https://www.fxpansion.com/products/bfd3/

Strike 2 demo
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/strike-2

Addictive Drums demo
https://www.xlnaudio.com/addictivedrums

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Default best drum software?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjazzy41 View Post
I've been using Toontrack's Superior Drummer for almost 10 years now and have never looked back. It is affordable, expandable (if you want), and can be as complex or as vanilla as you want it to be. If you're not a tweakhead and just want to drop some stock midi grooves into the track and hit play, you can do it easily. However, if you are anal and want to add a hit here or there, or delete a hit, or micro-manage the drum mixer you can get as in-depth as you want as well. Most of the time I find I don't have to do much with the stock grooves and sounds, but I have also invested in several Producer Presets that I like, as well as several expansion packs (each suited to a different type of music), so I just use what I think the song calls for and don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting things. I know you can also trigger Superior Drummer if you wanted to (I don't do that in my setup), and I have even controlled it via Midi with a keyboard before if that is your thing. It's also very stable and I haven't had any problems with it crashing my system, so that's a big plus!

I concur!! What is really cool is that I have played with Kenny Aronoff when we both played with John Mellencamp; when I got the Kenny MIDI set it was like playing with him all over again. You cannot go wrong with Toontrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Seeing the kudos for Superior Drummer I have to ask - do they have DW kits and Sabian cymbals? I have both in BFD3 and would hate to lose them. Not that I'm looking to ditch BFD but it's always good to have alternatives as long as they do the job I need them to do.
The Progressive SDX has some DW Drums (and a lot more) as well as Sabians.
https://www.toontrack.com/product/th...e-foundry-sdx/
About 3/4 down the page you'll see the "Instrument List" buried in with all the other drums are DW as well. I use this SDX a lot because of it's wide range.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

Last edited by bradch00; 06-20-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
The Progressive SDX has some DW Drums (and a lot more) as well as Sabians.
https://www.toontrack.com/product/th...e-foundry-sdx/
About 3/4 down the page you'll see the "Instrument List" buried in with all the other drums are DW as well. I use this SDX a lot because of it's wide range.
Thanks for the link - that's quite the varied instrument list. I also like that they list the recording chain used

QAPLA!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I would like to add Galaxy Drums powered by Accent to the mix. You can go to the website and find out more about it here. We release on July 10th, and if you sign up to the mailing list, you will receive a pretty major discount

You can watch the preview video here

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Worth considering as well is Air Music' "STRIKE!"
I'll second that! Fun and easy!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 AM

I had really hoped that Spitfire Audio would have released the Modular Drums LA VI by now. They announced it back in Jan of 16 at NAMM, but nothing since. It is supposed to have 3 of my favorite drummers: Matt Sorum, Abe Laboreal Jr and Josh Freese.

I loved the sound of the samples on their The Grange VI and hope this new one gets released soon. Might even beat SSD5 to release at this rate.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
There are plenty of good drum VI's out there. Superior Drummer 2, Strike, Slate, Native Instruments Drummer series, Addictive Drums, and of course BFD3.

All of them sound good. I prefer BFD3 because of the included Groove Editor and ease of editing. The Groove Editor is very handy as a Pro Tools user since Pro Tools doesn't include a drum editor like some other DAWs. The piano roll is fine, but the groove editor just feels better to me. Strike also has a groove editor.

Try some demos of the ones that have them available.

BFD3 demo
https://www.fxpansion.com/products/bfd3/

Strike 2 demo
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/strike-2

Addictive Drums demo
https://www.xlnaudio.com/addictivedrums
I slide the midi grooves from superior drummer into my instrument track and then edit away as I want to. Other time I just use my e-drum kit to play the beat I want and record it using superior drummer 2 as the sampler.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-11-2017, 10:11 PM

I have three, and really like them all. Strike 2, Easy Drummer, and DrumCore4. Easy Drummer and DrumCore4 put you in touch with a real drummer. Strike 2 is very cool to work with as well. But I love being able to think to myself, I'd like to play along with some tracks by Alan White, for instance. Or today, how 'bout some Afro Cuban grooves by Luis Conte? I really like the idea that I can relate the tracks to an individual, a killer musician.