Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Drumagog

Hi, I have recently purchased Drumagog. How many of you use it with Pro Tools? I have several questions....The Drumagog forum isn't very helpful at all....it seems very dead....

For kick and toms, it is pretty easy....I can generally get the settings okay. For toms, I usually edit out everything except for the hits (I find this easier than gating them)...simple. Okay, here's the hard part. Snare drum...Because snare hits are so dynamic, the settings for one part of a song need to be different than another part (different thresholds, sensitivity, resolution, etc..). Automation is just about IMPOSSIBLE with drumagog (atleast for me anyway)......the control knobs are so sensitive with the mouse, it would be impossible to automate it that I am aware of.....Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Drumagog can only be used an insert in Pro Tools (it doesn't show up as an Audiosuite plugin)....Therefore, I have to make a seperate track for EACH part of the song that needs different settings for the snare drum....and run Druamgog as an insert on every single track. Now, I can get decent sounds this way, and finally get the results I want with the snare drum this way, but it TAKES FOREVER, not to mention, I end up wasting 8 or so tracks JUST FOR THE SNARE DRUM!!! There has to be an easier way to do this. Should I really have to use 8 tracks just for a snare drum? Now I know someone will reply saying "no, you shouldn't have to....just get a good snare sound to begin with." Look...this question is regarding drumagog. I have chosen to use this program....I like having the option of changing my snare tones in the mixing process. Any Drumagog users, can you please help me? I also use limiters and compressors on each track in order to trigger Druamgog the appropriate way....so I end up with 8 tracks each with atleast 3 plugins on each track...just doesn't seem right to me....
Old 12-22-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Drumagog

i think you're using it correctly.
use the eq with drumagog to filter find the frequencies you need.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:29 AM

that's what i've been doing. however, i have to insert the eq AFTER drumagog in order for it not to alter the sound that drumagog gives you. does this sound right?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Sorry, maybe i rush read your first post.
and rushed the answer.
to avoid using too many eq plug in you only need to use the eq within the drumagog pluf. it has all you need to get quieter, louder, harder, softer sounds.

i don't use it a massive amount, but it does work well when i do.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:31 AM

where is there an eq within drumagog? there is a frequency knob...but i don't consider that a full eq.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:51 AM

am i missing the point of your 1st post?
ignore me, i'm an idiot.

i'll read it again . . .
Old 12-22-2005, 10:04 PM

you might also try muting some of the samples (assuming you are using a GOG with multi-samples) so that you get the range of dynamics you need. Also set the threshold in the (analog mode? -- can't remember exact name). I have not had good luck replacing drum rolls, ghost notes, etc. I usually try to let those come though the overheads and also the snare mics (by setting the threshold) when possible.

You are right about the Drumagog forum being dead. I like the product but have been disappointed in the lack of response on submitting bugs, waiting for updates to include missing features, etc.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 12-23-2005, 03:36 PM

i've just downloaded the demo of drumagog... and am also disappointed with the lack of fine control of parameters--in fact the difficulty in setting parameters at all. also, when it is up on the screen, it won't allow me to use the spacebar to start and stop audio. major pain.

this looks like a beta version to me... hard to believe they call it v4.0. while i prefer the concept of an RTAS plug to Audiosuite (soundreplacer), this one isn't ready for prime time. it looks like they have been cramming features into it before making what they have work properly. i haven't even looked at automation yet... but if you can't set the threshold for different segments of the song (as implied in this thread) then it REALLY doesn't have much (if any) advantage over digi's offering yet.

are there other options out there of which i am not aware?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:03 AM

It's good to hear that others have problems with it also. I heard it was the industry standard, and while it is very useful...it is also a major major pain. The whole spacebar thing is annoying....the most annoying thing to me is the fact that the knobs are so sensitive with the mouse, and you can't even type in a specific value. I kind of wish I didn't buy this.......anyone else who can help, please do so....I really like the sounds I get when I DO get them, it just takes forever....and gives me a major headache.....