Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-28-2015, 07:51 PM

Default Crackling and warped sound during recording and playback

Hey guys! I REALLY need your help.

I am running the super old pro tools LE version 8 through an MBox 2 mini.
My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Last month while I was recording I started to notice crackling. Weather it was in record ready or not. Playback and recording it was happening too. It started to get worse and worse until any play back sounds like a melted/warped tape.

I tried switching headphones in case that was any factor. It was not.
I tried restarting the computer
I tried getting a new MBox 2 mini thinking it was something to do with static and it was slightly better but not fixed.

I am out of ideas except for uninstalling the entire program and re installing it. This would run the risk of losing all of my previous songs. And I have hundreds. I am unsure if putting them on an external while I do this would matter or not.

I am aware it is an out of date system. But if I upgrade, all my music that is unfinished will become inaccessible through the new versions of pro tools. I need this to work so I can finish those songs and then I can upgrade.

Any explanation would be helpful and any ideas on how to correct this problem would be MOST welcome. I have deadlines I MUST meet this week and no recording program capable of what I need.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2015, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Craclking and warped sound during recording and playback

Running PT 8.0.5? If not, you should. Did the sync source somehow get changed? It should be on "internal."
Old 11-29-2015, 02:18 PM

I am running 8.0.5, yes. And the source is still Internal
Old 11-29-2015, 02:28 PM

System specs? Laptop or desktop? Are you recording to the same drive that your operating system and Pro tools is installed on? That would be a possible source of the popping and crackling. If you are recording to a separate audio drive, is it 7,200 rpm (or a ssd)? If you move all of your session files to a separate drive while re-installing PT, no you will not lose them.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Crackling and warped sound during recording and playback

Please take a look at the Help us Help You thread. There you will find some first step troubleshooting information.

Second, has anything recently changed with your system? Have you installed any new software, updates, virus scan or drivers? How much drive space is left on the system drive? The more info we have, the better we can help.

System Details
Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 PM

I haven't installed any new software, updates or even new virus scans and drivers that I am aware of. However I'm not the only person on this computer. Just the same old stuff.

I DID have the trial version of premiere video editing software and recently downloaded the full, paid version. But that's the only thing. I can't recall if the problem started around the same time but it's possible. How would those be connected?

184GB is left on the system drive.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:42 PM

Shouldn't be recording to the system drive. And as the drive gets full, it gets worse. Again, see "help us help you" at the top of the page and post some detailed specs.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 AM

First, please back up your projects! Since your computer is older and is acting different, there is a chance that it could get worse. If you are not backing things up, do it now. Another plus to getting an external drive and backing things up is that you can try running your project from the external drive to see if it makes a difference. Make sure your external is a 7200 RPM drive or SSD.

Installing new software can make a difference. I would check to see if there is anything new running on startup. Any new background processes will take away from what PT has to work with. If the drive hasn't been defragmented in a while, it may be a good idea to do so. You could try running a PC cleaning program such as CCleaner to free up space and clean up the registry.

But... before making any changes, I would back up what you have now.

System Details
Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 AM

I had an MBox 2 Mini when I first started out on PT with PT 7 LE. I had the same behavior begin a couple years ago. It turned out to be the MBox itself causing all the issues. I got a new Focusrite Scarlett interface and haven't had an issue like that since. If you have a way to do it, you might try testing with a different interface.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

What's your H/W Buffer size on playback? Sometimes setting it too low will cause this kind of behavior.