Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2004, 07:02 AM

Default OT: Cleaning up Win XP???

Hi!
The time has come for a good cleaning of Win XP.
I have a few choices, two of which I do not look forward to doing...

Since my PT LE computer has been used for everything from email->net->gaming->photshop->PT LE, as well as being the, "let me try this out" computer, it is time.

I can either: Restore to an image I did when I had installed XP fresh, done updates, and added some basic utilities I use, or...
Reinstall XP fresh after a nice, fresh reformatting, or...
Find a utility or two to do a thourough cleaning.

I need to clean the registry REALLY well, and do not want to spend hours doing it manually. Besides, some registry entries are very cryptic. An alternate to this would be restoring the copy of the registry I made at the same time as the image I created.

Next is cleaning up dll's and stuff. After installing and uninstalling so much crap, there is alot of unused baggage.

Any suggestions of utilities that you guys have tried and found to be good and safe? Tomorrow is the day...not looking forward to it, has been over a year of abusing Win XP- lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: OT: Cleaning up Win XP???

Nikki this utility has worked well for me Tune up Utility

Old 03-13-2004, 08:16 AM

Hi Nikki -

I use an imaging program by a company called Powerquest. My computer is a dedicated audio machine, but I still reimage the system drive every two weeks or so. I keep a number of images stored on my data drive including one right after XP install/updates and (most important) an image of the last, best working configuration I have - all defragged and cleaned up. All of my work is on the data drive, so I just wipe out the system drive and re-install the image. If anything ever bombs my machine, no problem - I am up and running in about a half hour.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:07 AM

If all your apps work great and XP runs good still then leave it

Be carefull with reg cleaners, just let it remove the uninstalled app settings and leave the CSLID entrys.

I've been aware of all these Registry tools and yet decide to rip ol app setting manually, this just me though, im used to it and know what im doin.

If your going to do it anyway then go with a fresh install and put updated drivers on it, nothing like a fresh XP.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:18 PM

That Tuneup app is really fantastic stuff. I have never seen such detailed sys prog before. And as far as I can see it cures the OS indeed just fine.
It even helped me to get rid of damn ol´rests that I couldn´t wipe even by seeking the registry by all names possible related to the products once been in use.

When you optimize your PC with that dang it really starts flying.

Together with a specialized defrag app like O&O Defrag the results are so good, that I doubt if I have seen my system really faster after fresh install.

For me there seems no reason obvious to go through the kreeps of a reinstallation. ( Sure, I could be wrong on principle.)

Either after fresh install or after using the apps above make a cute li´l image of your OS, put it in the shelf and go down on your knees to thank MS that the Win98 times seem REALLY over.

Lalaman
Old 03-13-2004, 01:35 PM

Hi!
Thx- will try that app out

I have Acronis Disk Image, and have an image of my c: drive, but as I said- it is from wayyyy back when I had installed XP fresh, done the XP Update thing, and then installed those *mandatory* utilities (winzip, winrar, partition magic, etc). Trying to keep from going back that far.

Everything is running ok, I just know my registry is a bit fragmented and clogged with garbage, and am too lazy to clean it up manually Plus, since I have yet to find a good instal/uninstaller, and with the amount of "try this out, try that out" I have done over the past year, experimenting, etc, figured it might benefit from a nice cleaning

I actually started using System Restore (go ahead- moan- lol!) on my HD rig, on the c: drive only. I actually like it, and it is set to not be so "noticeable." It isn't, oddly enough.

Sometimes I just like the feeling of a fresh XP install- kinda like a new car, without that neat "new car smell." LOL!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:38 PM

Nikki, since this is your play config after you clean it up and know that it's functional or do the re-install get yourself about a 60g drive and just do occassional images right before you do anything major.
Works well and gives you all your necessary recovery points.
I always do an image before I install anything that way I have a true uninstall path, especially functional when you are experimenting.