Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 AM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
So you're saying no drum editors like this appear in any other DAW? Funny, 'cause I remember using something that looked pretty much like the Superior one in Cubase v3 back in 1994.

By your logic, ProTools might as well stop making any advancements to anything, in case they tread on other developers' toes....
Cubase is a MIDI sequencer. Pro Tools an audio recorder/editor / mixer that also edits MIDI. I'd rather see them sticking to real advancements rather than merely copying what another developer did 25 years ago.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
So you're saying no drum editors like this appear in any other DAW? Funny, 'cause I remember using something that looked pretty much like the Superior one in Cubase v3 back in 1994.

By your logic, ProTools might as well stop making any advancements to anything, in case they tread on other developers' toes....
Really? I was using Vision back then. I wish they could have continued to develop software. Studio Vision was the only DAW I ever liked as much/more than PT.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Cubase is a MIDI sequencer. Pro Tools an audio recorder/editor / mixer that also edits MIDI. I'd rather see them sticking to real advancements rather than merely copying what another developer did 25 years ago.
Funny, I could have sworn Cubase can also edit audio nowadays. Oh wait, it can. Calling Cubase a "MIDI sequencer" when it's been able to edit audio for well over 20 years is pretty funny.

Point taken re: old idea though. Personally I just get really frustrated having, say, some hihats at the top of the pano roll and still others at the bottom. Really painful to edit. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones Up Records View Post
I have used both logic and pro tools, editing and recording audio clips in pro tools is much faster and easier, logic does weird things with tempos it just makes up its own tempo this can cause issues. In my experience pro tools is faster and easier to work with. Never had very many crashes or issues either.
Wich Logic did you used? 7? Logic is now way faster and easier especially in audio-editing and mixing. Pro Tools is unable to hold a candle for Logic now. I never had any of these issues you mention. Those times where PT was ahead are over for a long time.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM

It would be super nice if I never ever had to see this message again.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1548276498
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 20.47.08.png (32.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
Besides these unbelievable ancient things like multiple marker tracks and bins/folders in the clip list (15 years now?) or more background processing, most of what I read here are simple feature requests that one might have to other DAWs too. Sure, Logic has better MIDI. But please compare it's automation to that of PT. So each DAW has it's strength and weaknesses. That's how I see it.

But most restraints that annoy me, are caused through Avids attempt to lock out competitors and boost it's hardware sales through the limitation of software features. No OSC, no APIs, a proprietary plug-in format, encrypted session files, a radical licensing policy on Eucon....

Just imagine how this platform - and the industry and the art with it - could befit from interoperability. I would really like to use all these free Spatial Audio VST-plugins developed at universities, drop my session onto a reconforming software to have it re-edited in an instant, choose the control surface that gives me the features I need and tell Alexa to analyse, translate and print out that interview over lunch. In other software this can be done, well most of it so far

However, I see the biggest problem in the really old code of PT. Just compare the start time of PT to that of Ableton Live or Reaper. Live takes about 5 seconds to start, Reaper needs about 2.5. That is roughly the time PT needs to open a small, empty session from the templates.

Or look the file size of the application itself. PT is 1.9GB big, plus the plug-ins folder. Live Suite is 2.8GB. That's more, but look closely. There are about 350MB of documentation, 970MB of samples, instruments and effects and 900MB of MAX-8 inside the application bundle, so do the maths. And Reaper? 65 MB.

So I'm not holding my breath for bins. Before that PT will be discontinued and replaced by a new Avid DAW.
exactly

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 01-23-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
that's definitely not wrong, what you write ... but maybe your still thinking in old categories such as Midi / Audio ?

Sorry, but I think those times are over ... there´s no difference anymore in working with audio and midi and every daw that ignores this will disappear over the time. problem: avid seems to be the only company to ignore this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM

It's fair to say Cubase started off as a MIDI sequencer. It's also fair to say PT started off as a 2-track sound editor. Both have evolved, and the feature sets of the two overlap so much today that they both fit into the general category of DAW products. Saying PT shouldn't focus on MIDI only means it will fall further and further behind it's competitors.

The OP asked what you can do in other products that you can't do in PT. After seven pages (and counting) of replies it's obvious that the answer is "quite a bit". And it's obvious MIDI is one of the areas PT has lagged, but there are a ton of workflow features that are lacking as well.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
It would be super nice if I never ever had to see this message again.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1548276498
Yeah, i do this way too much.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Yeah, i do this way too much.
Glad it’s not just me that finds it a drag. Particularly annoying when the plug-in has automation you also want to copy over...