Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Artist Control - Has anyone managed to solve the disconnection issues?

Just another piece of info if it helps;

If, while the Unit is powered up, I unplug the ethernet cable and insert it again, the Eucon icon greys out but the Artist Control doesn't freeze, I can just power off and on again.

That gives me the impression that my theory about the ethernet port on the iMac being at fault may be barking up the wrong tree.

Is there a possibility that there is a fault with my Artist Control? I've conducted the fault finding (powering up with both bank and right nudge held) and everything is fine.

I'll be gutted if the unit is at fault because it'll have taken me nearly 2 years to find out! A little past the money back period!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Avid

Default Re: Artist Control - Has anyone managed to solve the disconnection issues?

OK, I think we are narrowing it down. When this happens is the unit still displayed as connected in EuControl ? What is displayed on the Mix's OLEDs ?
I'm starting to think its a hardware issue, you can try pulling the Ethernet cable and putting back and see if that auto connects (do not cycle power). Let me know....
Old 04-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Avid

I posted the last post before I read yours ! Pulling the Ethernet cable and putting back the unit should reconnect after a few seconds. No power cycle necessary.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Ok. Just unplugged. Icon greys out after 5 seconds. Plug back in , wait 5 seconds and it connects automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Avid

Unfortunately its looking more like the unit has an issue. I'll PM you.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:38 PM

Bugger!
Really appreciate your help though.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Hi guys,
Just thought I should chime in about this. I use an Artist Control with my Cheesegrater Mac Pro and it behaves well.

However, my wife has an 2015 3.3ghz 15,1 iMac and there is a major Ethernet issue with these machines. She cannot use ethernet because it drops offline very often.

The only way for her to work on the machine is via Wifi. It's in Applecare, so we may send it back. There have been various 'updates' from Apple where they have claimed to fix the issue, however, it has never fixed her ethernet dropout issue. Good luck with your unit! Best :) Walt

https://www.google.com/search?q=appl...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 AM

That was an issue I looked into after stumbling across a thread describing problems with Ethernet ports on the iMac. My Artist Control just freezes (anywhere between 5 minutes and 9 hours) needing a reboot. I found that if I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the unit, it would automatically sync up again once plugged back in. So if I do have random Ethernet disconnections, that would not cause my unit to freeze. Together with Eddie Jones, we concluded that the unit itself was possibly at fault. Replacement unit is on the way and fingers crossed I never experience the freezing again.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:35 AM

Update.
My Artist Control was sent back to Avid and they reproduced the freezing. Definitely a fault the the unit which really puts my mind at ease in a way. After upgrading my entire studio, rewiring the house, investing in the best networking equipment on the market in futile attempts to fix the issue, it was the pesky unit itself!

If it wasn't for Eddie Jones taking the time to offer his advice, I would still be chasing my tail so a huge thanks to Eddie.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:26 PM

Unit repaired (although I wasn't informed what the problem was) and I've had it running for 20 hours straight with no problem. It's Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!