Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Default macOS Sierra official release date is Sept. 20. How long til Pro Tools is compatible?

Ok Avid now's your chance to prove me wrong...

It took months and months after El Capitan's release before an officially compatible Pro Tools emerged. And even then, bugs remained and Core Audio was not fixed.

We all know macOS Sierra is supposed to be an improvement over El Capitan. We also know it's been in beta for many months now. As a subscriber, I expect your programmers have been working with it.

So the question remains... how long will we have to wait after September 20th for a macOS Sierra compatible version of Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD? Will it be called Pro Tools 12.x.x or 13? Will Core Audio be fixed? Will the multitude of other bugs be fixed? Will there be a new set of features that wow and amaze us coming soon (yeah we know you love that "coming soon" phrase).

Now is the time Avid to prove that as the leading DAW software in the industry, the trust your subscribers have in you is not in vain (ok for those of you laughing please stop. No really, stop. This is serious).
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 09-09-2016, 03:18 PM

Default Re: macOS Sierra official release date is Sept. 20. How long til Pro Tools is compati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Ok Avid now's your chance to prove me wrong...

It took months and months after El Capitan's release before an officially compatible Pro Tools emerged. And even then, bugs remained and Core Audio was not fixed.

We all know macOS Sierra is supposed to be an improvement over El Capitan. We also know it's been in beta for many months now. As a subscriber, I expect your programmers have been working with it.

So the question remains... how long will we have to wait after September 20th for a macOS Sierra compatible version of Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD? Will it be called Pro Tools 12.x.x or 13? Will Core Audio be fixed? Will the multitude of other bugs be fixed? Will there be a new set of features that wow and amaze us coming soon (yeah we know you love that "coming soon" phrase).

Now is the time Avid to prove that as the leading DAW software in the industry, the trust your subscribers have in you is not in vain (ok for those of you laughing please stop. No really, stop. This is serious).
i have been using PT12.5.2 (non-HD) on Sierra through the entire Beta Process .. i had an Apple Developer Account for the past year .. so far so good .. and i am on beta 8 now ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Re: macOS Sierra official release date is Sept. 20. How long til Pro Tools is compati

Expecting Avid or any company other than Apple to have new OS compatibility out of the gate is ludicrous. Upgrading OS as soon as they are released is ill advised. Personally I wait to upgrade OS until I absolutely have to. I am still working on Mavericks both at work and in my home studio. The best Mac OS for ProTools is usually the previous version's .5 or .4 release. Let everybody else deal with bugs and gotchas...
Old 09-09-2016, 04:05 PM

Why would you ever need/want to upgrade so fast??
Old 09-09-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvaudio View Post
Great question. Short answer is because El Capitan has been reported to have problems for lots of folks. I expect good companies, especially those I pay a subscription fee to, to be ahead of the curve when it comes to OS compatibility. I'm not necessary suggesting the very day of release (although that'd be nice) but shortly thereafter (a month, maybe 2, definitely not 6).

One great reason to keep up with the latest Mac OS? Security.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 09-09-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Upgrading OS as soon as they are released is ill advised. Personally I wait to upgrade OS until I absolutely have to. I am still working on Mavericks both at work and in my home studio.

I wish I was still on Mavericks RIGHT NOW ! .., I am on Yosemite and have been been screwed by the AVID Core Audio Debacle ever since

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvaudio View Post
Personally I cant wait for everything to be Sierra compliment after the bugfest we have just endured .., I am hoping this apparently improved OS will give all developers a better chance to get it right much sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Great question. Short answer is because El Capitan has been reported to have problems for lots of folks. I expect good companies, especially those I pay a subscription fee to, to be ahead of the curve when it comes to OS compatibility. I'm not necessary suggesting the very day of release (although that'd be nice) but shortly thereafter (a month, maybe 2, definitely not 6).

One great reason to keep up with the latest Mac OS? Security.

ANOTHER REASON (not to jump the gun so soon) : is to first make sure ALL your 3rd party plugins and V.I's that you use - are also updated to Sierra compliancy before you decide to update your OS to SIERRA.
Myself and others have mentioned this many times before on other threads , and this cannot be said enough. I once made this mistake, and for all the problems that it caused Id hate to see it happen to anyone else.

Note ; When I made that mistake of updating to the new OS 'too prematurely' .., I had just converted over to being a NEW (green) MAC User (ie; After previously spending 20 years as a windows user) ...., and at the time , I was unaware that Apple did NOT provide the older OS on a disc - or for download

Another mistake is ; At the time , I also didnt think of a Cloner app either to make a copy of my existing system before updating my MAC to the new OS ..., (as on my windows OS's going back was always easy - I could just re-insert the Disc)
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 09-09-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:23 PM

I always click on the new OS to start the download but cancel them so at the very least they are associated with my Apple ID and can always be downloaded. I have downloads available going back to 10.7 just in case. I have Yosemite started but not installed. Now that we have a date for Sierra I will initiate El Cap even though I will probably never use it, but will have access if necessary.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:00 PM

Anyone who knows why I can't install Yosemite 10.10 full installer on a Mavericks computer drive? It says it needs to identify something and then stops and asks me to contact applecare ...

And as another of our nMP's have 10.11.6 on it i wanted to downgrade to 10.11.3 but neither the combo or the update works. It says it can't be installed on a newer drive with 10.11.6 on it so nothing works here.

Mavericks / tried combo 10.10.4/5 and said we needed a full 10.10 installed. Downloaded from a dear mod here and it was the 5.6GB version. Now it says can't install as identify computer failed.

WTH is going on here? Any help would be fantastic

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 PM

I've seen OS X installers that once worked perfectly do something similar just after having it sit on a hard drive and not use it for months (I know how weird that sounds.)
Then I just deleted it, went back to the App Store and re-downloaded the Yosemite installer, and that new, fresh one worked just fine.
You say you got it from someone here? It's probably a corrupt installer.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Anyone who knows why I can't install Yosemite 10.10 full installer on a Mavericks computer drive? It says it needs to identify something and then stops and asks me to contact applecare ...

And as another of our nMP's have 10.11.6 on it i wanted to downgrade to 10.11.3 but neither the combo or the update works. It says it can't be installed on a newer drive with 10.11.6 on it so nothing works here.

Mavericks / tried combo 10.10.4/5 and said we needed a full 10.10 installed. Downloaded from a dear mod here and it was the 5.6GB version. Now it says can't install as identify computer failed.

WTH is going on here? Any help would be fantastic
I've had similar issues in the past - particularly with installers not associated with my Apple ID. The solution I found was to reset the date via terminal : http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/19/fix-o...preparing-mac/
Sometimes the installer gets confused, & won't install on a system that predates the OS.