Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Default Nehalem Processors

Dear DUC,

I'm looking to replace my 2x@66Ghz Dual-Core Xeon which I bought in January of 07 with a new 8-core. I want to get the absolutely best performance possible, especially for sessions with lots of Virtual Instruments.

I'll get 32GB of RAM and 4 to 6 TB of internal storage. I'm less sure of which processor to get, and on the Apple store there is a $2,600 difference between the 2.26 and the 2.93.

Can anyone advise me? Is it worth the investment in performance to go for the fastest processor?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Nehalem Processors

Quite a beast you're getting there, lucky you! For the current 8core models, there is only one processor used, the Intel Xeon 5500, built on the Gainestown base. The difference in price is only for the faster clock speed, as all other CPU features are shared for the full 55xx family. The processors support the dual-channel memory setup used by Apple when building the MacPro, as well as triple channel. The quad-core's Xeon 3500's (Bloomfield) don't, their memory controller is triple-channel only. Both the 5500's and 3500's take the same memory, DDR3. Both support Hyper-Threading, thought the Bloomfield also supports simultaneous multi-threading. Considering PT's kinda finicky with multi-threading anyways, you won't lose out at all with the Gainestown. All the above CPU's share the same first-generation TurboBoost feature, which can be very useful with apps that don't handle multithreading too well. The Gainestown should hold its own for a while still for DAW use, as the current innovations of on-die PCIe introduced in the new Lynnfields would add no performance to the 1x PCIe DSP cards.

Translation into non-geek: Between the processors Apple uses for the 8-core and the 4-core, the 5500 used in the 8-core fits best with Apple's hardware setup and PT's needs. Once you've settled on the 8-core, the only difference you get with more expensive CPU's is clock speed. You never have too much clock speed but only you can decide if a 0.67Ghz increase is worth 2600$. If the goal is absolute performance, 2.93 is the way to go.

Have fun with the new beast.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM

So, then, 8 core is best, but how does the current 2.26 gHz Nehalem 8-core compare to the previous generation (early 2008 model) 2.8 gHz 8 core for Pro Tools HD (right now, not talking about future proof issues)?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the response, drenkrom. I just wish I could find a chart somewhere that showed how many Omnisphere patches or how many RTAS Altiverbs you can run with a 2.26 vs a 2.93. All the benchmark charts always show quicktime rendering or videogame frame rates; I can't find specific Pro Tools or audio benchmark.

The 8-core does seem rather future proof, especially as I can find no rumor anywhere that a new MacPro is on the horizon. If I knew there were some fantastic model coming next year I might hold off.

JD
Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
The 8-core does seem rather future proof, especially as I can find no rumor anywhere that a new MacPro is on the horizon. If I knew there were some fantastic model coming next year I might hold off.

JD
Actually, Macrumors.com buyers guide says to "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" about the current Mac Pros.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM

The early 2008 models used Harpertown, if memory serves me well. Since then, the Front-Side Buss has disappeared in favour of QuickPath, a direct access to memory for the CPU, and more and more features that used to rely on the Northbridge chip have been built into the CPU die itself. I haven't done comparisons on MacPro's using the two architectures, but I did upgrade a Harpertwon-based PC to Bloomfield Nehalem and it was in another league altogether on memory-intensive applications. The new features more than negate the clock drop from 2.8 to 2.26, from what I've seen and read.

No features have been dropped and the power consumption has dropped slightly. All in all, it's not a the biggest leap in performance but some very significant increase can be expected, especially once everyone is all Snow-Leoparded up and we're humming along at 64-bit.

It's true that the current MacPro's are near their replacement, so it might be worth waiting a while to see where Apple will be taking the MacPro next. Intel have released more 55xx CPUs since the current MacPros were built up, but most innovation has been happening on the consumer Lynnfield platform, so there's no great leap forward to take from the current models, aside from a possible triple-channel memory configuration (please! please! please!).
Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 AM

I went with the 2.26Ghz dual and haven't looked back. I didn't think that .4Ghz was worth $1400, or that .67Ghz was worth $2600.

16 processors show up in Protools. It's also a very quiet machine.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenkrom View Post
I did upgrade a Harpertwon-based PC to Bloomfield Nehalem and it was in another league altogether on memory-intensive applications. The new features more than negate the clock drop from 2.8 to 2.26, from what I've seen and read.
Was that with Pro Tools?

No question that Nehalem will be far superior once Pro Tools is able to run on Snow Leopard and access all the cores, but that could be years away, so I am wondering if anyone knows what the difference is using current PT hardware and software. I have read conflicting reports as to the performance differences, specifically regarding programs that can't use all the cores, mostly having to with the clock speed difference.

To put it more simply, does an 8 core 2.26 Nehalem outperform a 2.8 Harpertown with current PTHD setups, specifically regarding RTAS capacity?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Aren't we still limited by the 4 GB limit for RTAS instruments in PT? The only way around I've found is to use Plogue Bidule and Rewire in. Works, but kinda clunky. Seems silly to have all the RAM and horsepower and not be able to use it for what we're trying to do wth VIs.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
To put it more simply, does an 8 core 2.26 Nehalem outperform a 2.8 Harpertown with current PTHD setups, specifically regarding RTAS capacity?
I think the answer is no. You hit the memory limit way before you run out of processing juice. At least that's been my experience with my Harpertown.