Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-31-2017, 05:13 PM

Default Warning: "First invite shares all tracks" Preference enabled by default

Tried cloud collaboration for the first time today.

The short version: If you don't want to share all tracks right away, then go to Preferences > Collaboration and un-check "First invite shares all tracks." This is enabled by default (at least it was on my system with 12.8).

Longer version:

As soon as my collaborator accepted the share invitation, tracks started uploading which I had not selected to share.

I'd watched the Avid videos on PT collaboration. In video 6, they clearly say you don't have to share any tracks you don't want to share. So...WTF?

I tried deleting the tasks from Task Manager, but they started uploading again.

Where share buttons were enabled, I de-selected them, but that didn't seem to stop the tracks uploading. In one case, the button was grayed out (but not disabled).

I called Avid and asked if by default all tracks were supposed to be shared. The guy put me on hold to check, then came back and said "no."

Then he had me look up a Preference that had nothing to do with the issue.

However, while I was there in the Preferences window, I noticed "first invite shares all tracks."

I went back and watched the video again, and they don't mention this. Maybe the feature was added after the video was made, but in that case they could have updated it.

We couldn't seem to stop the syncing of these tracks, so I trashed the Project and started over with the preference de-selected.

Last edited by BobK88; 07-31-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Warning: "First invite shares all tracks" Preference enabled by default

Tech Support told me that "First invite shares all tracks" should be disabled by default.

In my system and my collaborator's, it was enabled. We had never used PT collaboration before, had never changed that Preference.

Anybody else have the enabled by default? Please include your PT version and platform in your reply.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Warning: "First invite shares all tracks" Preference enabled by default

PT 12.8 on macOS 10.12.2, and the first 2 options in Setup > Preferences > Collaboration are disabled following a clean install or after trashing prefs.

Can you quit PT, trash (or move if you don't want to redo all your settings) Pro Tools Prefs from /Users/*name*/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools, launch PT and check again? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 8.29.16 AM.png (31.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
PT 12.8 on macOS 10.12.2, and the first 2 options in Setup > Preferences > Collaboration are disabled following a clean install or after trashing prefs.

Can you quit PT, trash (or move if you don't want to redo all your settings) Pro Tools Prefs from /Users/*name*/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools, launch PT and check again? Thanks!
I did that, and the first two options were disabled.

What exactly does "clean install" mean? If it means "installing PT for the first time" (on a system where PT has never previously been installed), then IMO it's absurd to assume that people using PT Collab are doing so with a clean install.

One or two sentences about this preference in the Reference Guide chapter on Collab and/or in the demo video (#6) would have saved at least three man-hours of wasted time (~1.5 h each for me and my collaborator).

And again, your support agent should have known about it. As I said in my original post, I specifically asked whether there were some reason all tracks might be shared by default, and he said "no".
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 PM

Sorry that this caused you trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK88 View Post
What exactly does "clean install" mean? If it means "installing PT for the first time" (on a system where PT has never previously been installed), then IMO it's absurd to assume that people using PT Collab are doing so with a clean install.
I understand that it's common to update over a previous version, but that should not change these settings. I simply did a clean install to establish that these setting are not enabled by default. I tested back to 12.5 and these settings were off.
Quote:
One or two sentences about this preference in the Reference Guide chapter on Collab and/or in the demo video (#6) would have saved at least three man-hours of wasted time (~1.5 h each for me and my collaborator).
These prefs are explained on pg 124 of the 12.8 Ref Guide:
New Tracks Are Shared When enabled, new tracks are automatically shared when they are created.

First Invite Shares All Tracks When enabled, all tracks are automatically shared when you invite anyone to join your project
Quote:
And again, your support agent should have known about it. As I said in my original post, I specifically asked whether there were some reason all tracks might be shared by default, and he said "no".
I'll follow up with them to find out where the misunderstanding was.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry that this caused you trouble.
Thanks.

Quote:
I understand that it's common to update over a previous version, but that should not change these settings.
Again, just as another data point, it was enabled by default on my colleague's system.

Quote:
These prefs are explained on pg 124 of the 12.8 Ref Guide:
New Tracks Are Shared When enabled, new tracks are automatically shared when they are created.

First Invite Shares All Tracks When enabled, all tracks are automatically shared when you invite anyone to join your project
I'll follow up with them to find out where the misunderstanding was.
I know. But they should also be mentioned in the chapter on collaboration. It could be as simple as "see Collaboration Preferences on page 124", but preferably more than that, even at the expense of redundancy. We're talking a few sentences, not pages.