Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Will DigiDesign stay supporting Apple/OSX

But why would they waste the time? And the money? Better yet, write for OS9, which is now frozen in time, and will never change! Or BEOS, which is a DEAD Company! That way, all bugs will be known, and there will be no more surprises! But, alas, these things are not real world. Gates and Jobs, like Cain and Abel. (Cain & Abel is a password recovery tool for Microsoft Operating Systems)... I still say check out how many people post here verses the PC posts. Yeah, right...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 PM

Well, I don't think features will be too quick to appear on the Mac OS, no matter what Digidesign says that both the Win & OSX will be treated equally.

How many times have the MIX-to-HD upgrade offers have been supposed to be the absolutely 'final' offer never to be repeated, only to be repeated more than 3 times already ...?

How long have AV Option customers been waiting for V10 support on OSX?

How long have Avid Unity customers been waiting for full integrated network support on OSX?

How many people have met AVID/Digidesign folks at trade shows who've NOT openly recommended switching to WinXP because of the ability of opening more plug-ins, more power, etc?

How many high-end users have not been 'advised' to switch to WinXP because the workflow is there already?

But no, off course they won't abandon the Mac ...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think features will be too quick to appear on the Mac OS, no matter what Digidesign says that both the Win & OSX will be treated equally.
V10 aside, I can't find any Win only features in v6.9, can you?

Quote:
How many times have the MIX-to-HD upgrade offers have been supposed to be the absolutely 'final' offer never to be repeated, only to be repeated more than 3 times already ...?
Unlike the Accel debacle, there was never a "drop dead" threat to move from MIX to HD.

Quote:
How long have AV Option customers been waiting for V10 support on OSX?
12 months. V10 debuted for Win this time last year (NAB). V10 will never work with OS X. This is why there is MOJO.

Quote:
How long have Avid Unity customers been waiting for full integrated network support on OSX?
26 months. Avid Unity will never work on OS X.

Quote:
How many people have met AVID/Digidesign folks at trade shows who've NOT openly recommended switching to WinXP because of the ability of opening more plug-ins, more power, etc?
I have, just this week actually! Not one of them said, "You know, while upgrading to HD, you should move to XP."

Quote:
How many high-end users have not been 'advised' to switch to WinXP because the workflow is there already?
I have not been advised to switch to WinXP.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:24 AM

Default AVoption|V10 and Mac OS X Announcement

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/v10/

AVoption|V10 and Mac OS X Announcement
-------------------------------------
Dear AVoption|V10 Assurance Customer,

We regret to announce that unfortunately, we will not be introducing support for AVoption|V10 on Mac OS X: It will remain a Windows XP-only product.

We recognize that AVoption|V10 is a major investment, and therefore we need to provide a product that not only functions well now, but will also grow with our users’ needs. In order to improve our integration with Avid workgroups and keep up with emerging technologies in HD video, networked storage and asset management, it is clear that we need to focus on developing and maintaining the most common configurations and workflows. Windows XP is the preferred platform for an increasing number of collaborative, networked environments in video and broadcast facilities. As this is the principle target for the AVoption|V10, we have decided to focus this product as a Windows XP-only solution. Similarly, audio streaming with Pro Tools via a Unity MediaNetwork system is only available on Windows XP.

The evolving nature of Mac OS X and our need to maintain compatibility across our entire product line continue to require a significant amount of work. As a result, we have been unable to provide the planned Mac OS X support for certain Avid workgroup options, such as Unity MediaNetwork. At the same time, many Mac OS X users have found that Avid Mojo already fills their needs for Avid video import and playback at a substantially lower cost. It provides composite, S-Video and full component output for 1:1, DV50, DV25, 15:1s and three 24P resolutions.

Given all these considerations, we have made the difficult decision not to release AVoption|V10 for Mac OS X. Let us assure you that this decision is neither a signal nor a trend: We will continue to support and develop new features for Pro Tools with Mac OS X. For example, our next release includes a myriad of new features for recording, editing, mixing and post-production, all available on both Mac OS X and Windows XP.

Nonetheless, we realize that limiting AVoption|V10 support to Windows XP may impact your plans, and we want to work with you to find the best solution for your needs. If you purchased an AVoption|XL with AVoption|V10 Assurance, please contact your Digidesign Sales Representative.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: AVoption|V10 and Mac OS X Announcement

Quote:
We regret to announce that unfortunately, we will not be introducing support for AVoption|V10 on Mac OS X: It will remain a Windows XP-only product.
Didn't these options cost $$$$$$$$

The Venue is also XP Based why wouldn't Digi build the Venue around OSX???
Old 04-22-2005, 12:09 PM

The writing is on the wall. Have a look at the rest of Avid's products and the lack of urgency in bringing forth Mac OSX versions. It is not a rumour, it is clear for all to see!
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 04-22-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:

The Venue is also XP Based why wouldn't Digi build the Venue around OSX???
I don't know how many times I have to write this on the DUC for people to comprehend it.

Apple does not license Mac OS X for embedded applications. This is why the VENUE is built around Windows XP. Blame Apple, don't blame Digidesign.

As for the "writing on the wall", if Avid/Digidesign were going to abandon the Mac, then why would they even bother to get MOJO working last year?!? IMO, you conspiracy theorists are the ones that can't see the "writing on the wall".
Old 04-23-2005, 01:53 AM

I think it is you having problems seeing the writing on the wall chief.

It's obvious you aren't in the high-end post environment to know what this means are you?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:33 AM

The Apple store in my local mall is sell the M-Box next to the G5's... but that may not mean that much.

At it's best, Apple had 15% of the OS market; now it's under 5%.

I use my old upgraded 9600 for Protools, but i still believe the switch to OSX has been a mistake for Apple.

Maybe Tiger will change all that.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:01 AM

rickridge sez:
Quote:
I still believe the switch to OSX has been a mistake for Apple.
What ? ! ?

Not true.

Demonstrably proven.

Move on.

People here who cannot accept change, are in the wrong business.

Wait... make that:

YOU'RE RESIDING IN THE WRONG SECTOR OF THE TIME/SPACE CONTINUUM!

Adapt.

You'll live longer.

j