Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Keyboard working in Logic, but not ProTools - HUI error?

I've been using ProTools for about 5 years now, but I'm trying to dive into using a MIDI keyboard controller for the first time. There may be something obvious here I'm missing, so suggestions are welcome.

Since I'm just getting started, I bought a cheap keyboard (model #AKM320). I can open up the EastWest Play plugin just fine on an instrument track, and pluck out notes in the visual interface with the mouse. ProTools also recognizes the keyboard when I go to Setup > MIDI> MIDI Input Devices, and I can even select it under Peripherals, where I'm trying to define the type as HUI. (Which tutorials seem to indicate this device is categorized under.)

However, once I define it as an HUI device, I keep getting a "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI" error message.

I've power cycled, restarted ProTools, and even installed the legacy MIDI drive (per recommendation on another thread.) I can even use this keyboard in LogicProX as soon as I open a software instrument track, so I don't think the issue is with my computer or the device.

I would still prefer to to use ProTools since I'm already using it to edit the project this music is for (and I'm not a fan of LogicPro's interface).

Any suggestions for where to look next?

Additional info: I am a Mac user running Sierra 10.12.1, and ProTools was fresh installed last Friday.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Keyboard working in Logic, but not ProTools - HUI error?

What happens if you don't define a keyboard in peripherals? On my PC I don't and I am able to use the keyboard, transport doesn't work. When I had an Axiom, I would configure in peripherals to use the transport and I would get a similar error and I would just ignore it and never had issues. I don't believe my Kontakt 49 transport works in PT, or I haven't been motivated to try given I have an artist transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 PM

... I feel so stupid, but I'm really glad you said to try ignoring the peripherals menu or it never would have crossed my mind that this was the issue.

I literally just needed to record enable the track.

Clearly, I am done working tonight and will get back to this project tomorrow, haha.

Thank you so much for the quick response!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvansistine View Post
... I feel so stupid, but I'm really glad you said to try ignoring the peripherals menu or it never would have crossed my mind that this was the issue.

I literally just needed to record enable the track.

Clearly, I am done working tonight and will get back to this project tomorrow, haha.

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Excellent. Glad you are working. Checkout the manual and the section on peripherals. Also in the setup menu for MIDI there are some parameters that can be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro