Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Big News from Reason. 9.5 with VST hosting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
This is a bummer. I started using Reason in 2001 with version 1. I last upgraded to 6.5 and have not updated since. I was seriously thinking about it until this...
I suspect there's thousands more like you. It'll cost Propellerhead thousands in lost revenue they could easily have had from all those who mainly use Reason in slave mode and would have upgraded to 9.5 immediately because of this. Bad business decision if you ask me. (But, these guys never call me for sound business advice! Go figure...)

Old 05-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Got to wondering - is there any one company that's responsible for developing and supporting the Rewire protocol? I know a lot of developers use it. There's bleeping little documentation on Rewire and exactly how Reason implements it (and how to use it).

This is not the first time the Propheads have done stupid stuff. I mean look at the stupidity they went through with the different authentication systems they went through. Also look at the messed up way Rewire works when using a Combinator or the modules are just 'naked' in a rack. Use a Combinator in Rewire mode and if you want to send both MIDI notes and a controller like volume you have to use two paths into Reason from the Rewire master. Use the same modules naked in a rack and you just need one path from the master. Nowheres is this documented. If there's a way to use a Combinator and just one path and get both MIDI notes playing and volume control - please let me know how to do it.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I suspect there's thousands more like you. It'll cost Propellerhead thousands in lost revenue they could easily have had from all those who mainly use Reason in slave mode and would have upgraded to 9.5 immediately because of this. Bad business decision if you ask me. (But, these guys never call me for sound business advice! Go figure...)
While I generally try not to look at things negatively. I would have to agree. It effectively means that for those of us who use Reason slaved to PT there is little incentive to upgrade. I can just as easily load plugins on my PT tracks with Reason 8.5 as opposed to spending money to have to do the same thing in 9.5. Guess I'll pass on this upgrade

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM

This could be the thing. I had long ago given up on Reason, but if this is true, wow.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This could be the thing. I had long ago given up on Reason, but if this is true, wow.
It's true and by design according to those that took part in the webinar that recently happened where it is said the Propheads told people they did this because no other daw allows it. No technical reason given. Poor excuse if you ask me. And the 'tude I've been getting from hardcore Reason users is 'why do you need another daw?'

edit for additional:
Tom - after thinking about it I actually don't know what to make of your comment. Are you commenting/asking if it's true Reason can now host vst or what some of us are going on about that the vst hosting is moot when Reason is used as a rewire slave?

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 05-17-2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 05-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
While I generally try not to look at things negatively. I would have to agree. It effectively means that for those of us who use Reason slaved to PT there is little incentive to upgrade. I can just as easily load plugins on my PT tracks with Reason 8.5 as opposed to spending money to have to do the same thing in 9.5. Guess I'll pass on this upgrade
What some people don't get why we're upset about this is think of it this way: you create a killer setup in Reason that has both Reason and vst plugins interwoven - now if you want to use that in a PT session you can't. Phooey big time.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post

Tom, except it appears from comments in the Reason forum you can't host VSTs while in Rewire mode. That's a major disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Tom, except it appears from comments in the Reason forum you can't host VSTs while in Rewire mode. That's a major disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, very disappointing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-28-2017, 03:35 PM

I wonder if there may be a workaround to take advantage of the VST host feature. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I'm thinking I could route MIDI output from PT through my Yamaha Motif XS, which is my main MIDI controller to Pro Tools to play an instrument set up there. Then, if the audio from Reason is routed through my Focusrite interface, why couldn't that audio be input on a PT audio track? The one issue would be a MIDI delay of some amount, but that can be compensated for.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there may be a workaround to take advantage of the VST host feature. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I'm thinking I could route MIDI output from PT through my Yamaha Motif XS, which is my main MIDI controller to Pro Tools to play an instrument set up there. Then, if the audio from Reason is routed through my Focusrite interface, why couldn't that audio be input on a PT audio track? The one issue would be a MIDI delay of some amount, but that can be compensated for.
IAC Bus (Audio Midi setup) {This needs Core-Audio & 2nd Pro Tools)
If you have a patchbay then Patch Core to PT's in. (Now set this in an Instrument track)
t