Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
The R&D for a whole line of HDX products was already done but then never expanded. Take OMNI, HDX cards and the AVID I/O and make a family. 8 i/o with 1/2 an HDX card inside, 8X8 with a full HDX1,2 and 3. 16X16 etc... add a standalone HDX box series that connects via TB, or USB3 or Ethernet. Price all these from $2K to whatever. That would have been real competition to UA...

The suite of AAX-DSP is OK but autotune, waves and some others were huge losses. They needed a mitigation plan at release to handle this. It seems so possible that a TDM to AAX-DSP bridge on the HDX card could have been made or maybe even make a special TDM card/box for HDX.
That info about R&D being done for additional HDX products is new to me. Is that true? Do you have a source for that? That is very interesting if true.

I would say the suite of AAX DSP is more than okay, but yes, I agree about the AutoTune and Waves losses. Of course, now you technically CAN do AAX-DSP Waves, albeit unconventionally, with StudioRack, Digigrid and HDX Hardware Inserts.

I don't think it would have been possible to connect TDM and HDX. They are completely different and incompatible architectures.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 03-19-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
That info about R&D being done for additional HDX products is new to me. Is that true? Do you have a source for that? That is very interesting if true.

I would say the suite of AAX DSP is more than okay, but yes, I agree about the AutoTune and Waves losses. Of course, now you technically CAN do AAX-DSP Waves, albeit unconventionally, with StudioRack, Digigrid and HDX Hardware Inserts.

I don't think it would have been possible to connect TDM and HDX. They are completely different and incompatible architectures.
I have no inside info > By R+D done I only mean there is existing Hardware for all of this that can be mostly used -
HDN TB box is a TB to AVID interface bridge. Modify that to connect to HDX. Sonnet does this by straight TB to 4 lanes of PCIe and it runs 3 HDX cards now. The interfaces all have DiGiLink connectors (like an HDX card). Straightforward to put that in a box. Leave connectors on the box for adding more interfaces or HDX boxes. Compared to designing the original products this is all 1/4 or less of the R+D work to do. (IMO) The HDN TB box and HDX card are 90% of a standalone HDX TB box.

DiGiGrid is a way to do the Waves (I ran this for 1.5 years). Not quite the workflow of HDX but it does work. In the end I just found it simpler to find the necessary tools for tracking all in AAX-DSP and leave the Native plugs for mixing and FX on already recorded stuff.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM

Doesn't the 11R use the same DSP chip as HDX?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM

i think a compact hdx/thunderbolt interface (like uad apollo) would be awesome!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 02:44 PM

I suspect the next one may be an HDX server that is accessed over Ethernet.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I suspect the next one may be an HDX server that is accessed over Ethernet.
My guess is AVB and that has already proven to be successful
Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
My guess is AVB and that has already proven to be successful

Well, successful for some definition thereof. But I agree it'd probably be the right choice for its low latency (but I imagine you'd still need an Ethernet interface that bypasses the operating system's networking stack, as is the case with Dante).