Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Default CPU (RTAS) Meter

When looking at the CPU (RTAS) meter I'm seeing a solid section of bars followed by blank space and then another single bar farther out (kinda like the picture I've drawn below). The number listed to the right of the graph seems to coorespond with the end point of the solid bars.

CPU (RTAS) [||||||||_______|______________ ] 25%

What is the single bar after the blank space telling me? Does that indicate some sort of CPU spike/peak? I noticed that I tend to see this with certain plugs, such as TL Space, at lower buffer settings.

In fact, if that single bar gets near the end of the graph I start to get distortion during playback in my sessions - even if the number listed to the right of the graph only says 45%. This is a little odd, as I've never experienced this in earlier versions of PT. In PT7 and 8, if too much CPU was being used it would just throw up an error but never heard any distortion. Of course, increasing the number of host CPUs or increasing the buffer size reduces the CPU usage and the distortion disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Default Re: CPU (RTAS) Meter

bump
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Yes its spikes.. TL Space is known for that.. Not much u can do except what ur doin... thatz probly why u got no answer out of 91 view & had to bump

Sent from EPIC 4G using Tapatalk On'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM

Right - I knew TL Space was a CPU hog. Are others experiencing the playback distortion I mentioned in the scenario above?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Do you have "Ignore RTAS errors during playback " enabled in prefs?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
In fact, if that single bar gets near the end of the graph I start to get distortion during playback in my sessions - even if the number listed to the right of the graph only says 45%. This is a little odd, as I've never experienced this in earlier versions of PT. In PT7 and 8, if too much CPU was being used it would just throw up an error but never heard any distortion. Of course, increasing the number of host CPUs or increasing the buffer size reduces the CPU usage and the distortion disappears. Has anyone else experienced this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
Right - I knew TL Space was a CPU hog. Are others experiencing the playback distortion I mentioned in the scenario above?
yes, your scenario is not uncommon. my own testin' has yielded very similar results. seems as tho they rewrote part of the error messaging or at least changed the values for kickin' out the errors. so yes denormalization will definitely show itself, in some cases, before an error. FWIW i have reported this as a bug to Avid

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff