Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Big issues with USB-connection

Got this 11r without upgraded firmware. I managed to connect 11r on my computer but soon it didn't boot properly and PC and 11r couldn't find each other. Well after a month or so i found another cable to test with(similar printer cable than original) and Voila PC and 11r found each other again. Started my fruity loops, had a neat 6ms delay there eveything work wonders, channels from guitar and so on. So, i decided the problem was on cable, and bought this extension pack from AVID and was about to install it via win10. At that point i had no idea i need a win7 for it so use-once serial number is about to be reset because of course it was gone hwn i tried to do upgrading in win10. I was actaully going to make a topic here how to upgrade your eleven rack from a virtual win7 since i got connection on from there, even the 11r control panel show streaming/connected. Firmware program said code was used etc.

BUT NOW. I CAN'T CONNECT THE 11R TO MY COMPUTER AT ALL, IT LOST IT'S CONNECTION AGAIN. Nothing has changed in computer, all i did was plugging a SP/DIF optical wire to another hole from my home theatre. WHAT IS HAPPENING. WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS. I have fought with this damn thing for whole summer but i have not lost hope since i had the connection, there is just something that i don't realise at all. I even did fresh win10 install with first cable, and even then there wasn't connection between 11r and PC.
Done hard reset/soft reset few times on 11r. Is there some option i might have on, in 11r, any ideas what can cause this?

I have toneport UX1 on my computer installed, but when i had clean install on win10 it wasn't installed. Also i have Fruity Loops. Once it acted weird it lost conn between 11r and PC and froze completely, i turned 11r off and it caused BSOD. Does this have anything to do with whole thing. I think this happen before too when i was clowning around with 11r Editor BSOD and issues started to happen
Old 09-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Big issues with USB-connection

Hi, welcome to DUC.

Oh this all seems like a pile of pain for you. Not sure how much anybody here will be able to help, but let’s try.

What exactly did you do? You ran the updater in a Windows 7 virtual machine on Windows 10? Or you never actually did that?

Like a HyperV or VMware workstation virtual machine? Unfortunately you really should not do that. Firmware updaters often require precise timing and are one thing that are likely to not work well through a virtual machine, even if it appears to provide direct access to the USB port. (I program other unrelated device firmware and know none of that works from a VMware virtual machine, I keep an old ThinkPad just to use as a programmer). Nobody can probably say for sure the updater will never work in any VM, but I would not even try. If you get the USB working again, and you have a windows 7 installer, I would install that natively on a spare partition, not in a VM.

Still it may just be you have an intermittent faulty Eleven Rack or USB connection, as well as experiencing the firmware updated not working beyond Windows 7. I don’t think trying to update the firmware from Window’s 8 or later is known to brick the device or harm the USB connection, but you may have a novel way with the virtual machine.

You can try a different USB cable, different USB port on the host PC, try uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers, look in device manager and see if the device even appears when you connect. Get rid of that virtual machine off the computer >>> make sure that VM is not running/grabbing the USB connection <<< . Try the Eleven Rack on any other computer...

If you can get the USB working... then getting another firmware update license to try reinstalling the firmware again is the easy part here, just contact support (for free). That's described in the note warning about the windows version issue. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...nder-Windows-8

If you cannot get the USB to work you may unfortunately need to use that Eleven Rack stand alone or as an outboard processor hanging off some other interface. These are pretty low cost on the used market, so at some point I would just cut my loss and purchase another one with the expansion pack already installed. Maybe ask Avid for the price of the expansion pack to be refunded.

What are the last few characters of the Eleven Rack serial number if it’s *later* that an E series it’s likely not prone to a bad clock problem, E series (bad) or earlier (some possibility) should affect their value/how much any of this is worth worrying about. An E series unit would be near worthless in my book, but it’s confusing I think they rolled out fixes starting in E1. More info likely findable on DUC.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-23-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:32 PM

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

About the questions you asked for,
I didn't run the updater in Windows 7 at first place, it was Windows 10.

The virtual "thing" i ran in my Windows10 was Oracle VM VirtualBox. I was just so full of hope when i had a contact with 11r, in a virtual win7(The updater said inside virtual win7 that the serial and sysiD had been used as you know.

Last 3 letters on my device are "89H".
Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Trying to install the update from Windows 10 should not screw up the USB. So I suspect you are just running into an intermittent USB problem. So run the tests I suggested before. If you get it working again you can get another Expansion pack license from support and I would only try an update from a machine running Windows 7 natively... or a a Mac if you can borrow one.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:18 PM

It might be worth checking to see if the "Power Management" feature is turned OFF on all USB ports(Windows 10 updates often will reset that back to default, so its worth a look)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-24-2019, 04:44 AM

I'm installing win7 as a secondary OS right now on my PC(have a spare HDD).
Old 09-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Ok that failed because for some reason i lost availability to use my mouse and keyboard right when the win7 installer started running. Propably too new devices for the OS itself.

Tried to install win7 on my friend's computer, started fresh and no, 11r couldn't connect into that computer either so i came to a conclusion i have a faulty device. Since i have the firmware upgrade bought already, i ended up to order whole new device from Thomann
Old 09-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Any “new” Eleven Rack, or one shipped in the last several years should already have the expansion pack installed. AFAIK the Eleven Rack has been discontinued (Edit: yep sales officially stopped 6/2019), so Thomanns is likely selling stock they had on hand... which is *great* to grab now. These are wonderful boxes, and a total bargain at their price point. I need to grab another one.

Good you are making progress, even if that is to confirm the Eleven Rack you have had faulty USB.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-25-2019 at 02:46 PM.