Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2016, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools for Mixing

Native and HDX are two different things. HD Native, as the native implies, is a computer based processing system. HDX is a DSP System, meaning it uses a PCI card to do some heavy lifting. In both worlds, native plugins are processed by the host computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:53 PM

I use PT non HD with Lynx card and Rosetta 800. I also UAD 2 DUO, unloading my proceseurs. For mixes, relatively simple (often 16 tracks, 24 tracks at most), it's perfect. I would like the additional features of HD, of course, as for automation, but the obligation to purchase the Avid hadwares magnifies the enormous bill.

For the record, however, if a good number of inputs, especially, I think HD is really interesting. For a pro studio, it would be hard not to have it. Almost zero latency, management preamps, etc.

One of Avid's problems is that it offers nothing to switch PT Vanilla at PT HD. Not 5 cents. So it's hard to go walking. We must lose an investment (now annual ...) + to do another one. If at least Avid created a purchase link between Vanilla and HD, it would be less question.On could walk up the steps one at a time.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 06-10-2016, 10:54 PM

In my world, I ran TDM for over a decade. I do mostly bands and solo artists, both tracking and mixing. I don't do video. But... Many track counts get out of hand quickly lol (many times I inherit those messes from other sources).

Since many of my mixes were incorporating more and more Native plugins as the years went on, the TDM Dsp system became problematic. I'd run out of voices or latency would get ridiculous on tracks because of Native/Dsp combinations.

I made a 1k (or less) investment in HD Native about 18 months ago. Even tracking 32 ins live with Slate VMR on all tracks and verbs and delays, I can go at a 64 or 32 buffer on a 2010 Mac Pro, feeding 3 rooms with diff mixes. No crashing. There are some nuances and bugs (as with my old TDM) system. But I feel less limited now than I did back then.

There are times i wish I didn't have to deal with buffer settings. But... I had to deal with that stuff in DSP land towards the end too.

And now, with how similar HD and vanilla are feature wise? I'd probably not miss much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 PM

I don't need many of the advanced features HD software offers but the limitation of just one video file in a vanilla session is ridiculous IMHO.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 PM

For "stereo" music just get the $99 version and mix with a good Mac. I run 60+ tracks here with UAD cards and tons of native plugins with buffer on 64. Also not a problem for recording overdubs and adds

p.s.
I'm a PT user since 11 because PT simply didn't make any sense for me in the past. I never understood that TDM, Native, HDX, HD, SE, blue convertor, m-audio chaos- whatever-thing... I was on Soundscape and Logic during that time.