Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2002, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Looking toward my recording future..

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Rathman:
I'm an audio engineer for the US Air Force Band. I'm getting experience in everything... From front-of-house engineer for dinner parties hosted by politicians and generals to pulling out the big guns on massive outdoor concerts. I get to play in a completely decked out Pro Tools Studio and release several CD's per year with everything from Jazz Combos and Big Bands to Concert Bands and Rock Bands, Country Bands, R&B, etc... Radio broadcasts, live TV broadcasts... You name it. I'm getting experience in a "no room for mistakes" environment with fun-loving, world-class musicians. Every day is a challenge, and every day I learn something new.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that sounds pretty cool. the only job i could think of that would be better than that one is the U.S. Marine Corps equivilant... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

--> chime in here, phil... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2002, 08:24 AM

You wouldn't (well actually you might) believe the number of musicians I have already worked with that HAVENT had training that didn't even know what key they were in, what note (in the key) they were singing, or what falsetto was.

So you've worked with Destiny's Child,too?!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Yosemite OS
Old 06-01-2002, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Fisher:
I was kinda afraid about putting anything about how I feel about my skill, and I understand that point you make. Its a good point, and a good joke at that. I personally think that my ears are my most important piece of equipment.

In addition to the post before that. Here is a page that tells about the equipment avaiable at Berklee. Link

If you don't want to follow the link, here's a few highlites: SSL 4036G, PT TDM in most rooms, Studer 24 tracks, Drawmer and Urei compressors, Lexicon 480L, SSL6000E, 02Rs, Sony MPX-3000, SSL4000G+, Neumann mics

Not too shabby for student use.

I also agree that, it's not what you know but who you know. So contacts are important, but Boston has gotta be a better place to start than Greensboro, NC for that... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again all!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi David! ...have to make another reply on this thread... don't be offended -think it's a good thread for alot of people in here "....the xp xp xp whats up with xp f*k you etc etc" is starting to get quite boring.... well to the point:

YES your ears are your most important equipment... and if you use them the right way you'll find that you really don't HAVE to get an SSL or an U87 to make great recordings... for me a good engineer can do great recordings on "crap" and personaly I prefer working with mellow people that's gone the hard way -maybe started out with an old 4or8track and a noisy crap compressor- and have learned to make the very BEST out of the equipment available... if you can do that you can appreciate and make use of for ex a Neuman mic and a good Drawmercomp... -Maybe I'm taking my stand abit just because I've got no formal education myself... but I don't think I'm all wrong saying that the best engineers have learned by themself and from people in the business by WORKING -not by reading manuals and having high educationlevels... name one top producer that presents himself as XXXXXXXX doctor in audioengineering and I'll take it back though..*lol*

....also have to say that one guy earlier in this thread made a very true statement about the importance of being a problemsolver!

once again this not personal to you David ...it's just my general opinions... -Great schoolequipment should be a fostexB16 with a useless Dolby C and an old noisy console plus a cple of $20 mics -that way you'll really learn how to tweak.

Also -the jobs you were lining up earlier is nothing you can get without really wellproven experience in the business

Have a nice day! ....and don't feel bad
Old 06-02-2002, 02:06 AM

"-Great schoolequipment should be a fostexB16 with a useless Dolby C and an old noisy console plus a cple of $20 mics -that way you'll really learn how to tweak."
--------------------------------------------------

Amen to that brother!

-Travis