Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Using MBox 3 Pro as External Effect Processor

Hi to all!

I'm new to my Pro Tools 10 + MBox 3 Pro.

I have a JMP-1 Pre-Amp for Guitar and I would to use the Plug-ins of Pro Tools to make a SEND - RETURN effect processor (like a Compressor or others) before output to the Cabinet.

I connected the Send output of the Pre-Amp to the Insert 1 of the MBox 3 but I receive the message that the "output path is already in use".
I connected also the 3-4 Output of the Mbox to the Effect RETURNS of the Pre-Amp.
The Pre-Amp outputs are connected to the Input 1-2 of the Mbox to record.

I would to do this: Pre-Amp SEND -> Mbox Insert 1 -> AUX Track with plugins -> Mbox Output 3-4 -> Pre-Amp EFFECT Returns

Is it possible?

I think that I'm confused and I don't know if I can do it.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks so much!

Fabio
Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Using MBox 3 Pro as External Effect Processor

To connect outboard gear like the reverb unit I have, I take analog outs 1&2 and plug them to the inputs of the reverb unit and out the reverb into line in on back of the mbox.then in pro tools I use a send to route the signal prefader to the unit and to hear the wet signal come back to pro tools I create an aux to mix both the dry and wet signal together in my mix. It may not be similar to what you want to do but this can probably give you an idea of how to route signal in and out. One more thing, the track with the signal I want to effect,lets say a guitar track, I use one of the sends on that track and route the outputs to 1&2, and on the aux track I created I set the input to 1&2 and push the button on the front panel of the mbox to rear,to activate the line in on the back of the mbox. Just thought I should make that a bit more clear. The reason why your getting that message about I/o already being used is because pro tools defaults analogs 1&2 as the main outs of your interface, to work around this you need to go into the I/o setup within pro tools and change the outputs to something else, choose the outputs tab and on the bottom of the signal flow chart change both boxes to a different default output, I think 1 of the boxes says audition the other main outputs, I cant remember but do it for both stereo and mono you may also need to open up the control panel for the mbox that was installed along with the drivers and turn up any faders that corredpond to the I/os your trying to set for your sends and returns