Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-17-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: any recommendations for instruction?

Veritas, don't forget to back up your work. Only geeks need to get that.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:13 PM

I thought it was the "geeks", as you say, who were born with this knowledge, and Joe Sixpacks like me are the ones who actually have to struggle and learn this stuff????? Uh oh, Raid, now you've got me really confused!!?!! What manner of man am I?!?!?!?!
Old 04-17-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
There is/are no assign matrix or summing amps to record tracks.
Yes there is/are.. the output assignment in Pro Tools is the equivalent of a buss assign matrix on an SSL or Neve console. You can sum multiple inputs via Aux Inputs and bussing to record audio tracks in Pro Tools.

Quote:
In fact, there are no real "tracks", only regions and voices.
Regions are sections of audio data - which can be placed or recorded onto Audio Tracks.. so yes, there are "tracks".

Quote:
The "recorder" does not automatically switch to input like a multi-track does when stopped, so if you aren't hearing anything you have to see what your input status is. Repeat after me: Alt-K
Not true.. when in Auto-Input mode.. Pro Tools does automatically switch to input when stopped and follows the exact same truth table as an analog multitrack. Alt+K lets you toggle between holding the record armed tracks in Input Only.. which is the same as the option on any multitrack tape deck. The only option you don't have in Pro Tools LE and Mix (and HD pre 6.4) is to individually switch tracks to Input mode.

I don't want to be chasing you around rectifying misinformation... so please make 100% sure what you post is correct or preface your comments with "I believe..." or something of that ilk.

As for the etiquette around here.. basically anything goes.. what I didn't like about your other post was the way you blasted Pro Tools for being unintuitive.. while stating you were a highly qualified engineer. That made me hold you to a much higher standard than the average LE user. You'll also notice that 99% of the users of the DUC probably weren't aware of my credentials until your other thread.. I don't believe they're neccessary - people will judge us by the amount of help we give, not by who or what we are.

Thank you.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-17-2004, 04:58 PM

Hi!
In addition to the Disk FLix (which I continuously point to for the new to Pro Tools person), there are also the "Cool School Interactive" video cd's. They have a few for PT (including PT 5 and PT 6). I got the ver 5 back a few years ago when it first came out, and it was good for "knowledgable beginner to intermediate PT user" I guess. Have not seen ver 6, so not sure how much of the "beginner stuff" it covers.
The Waves plugin vid is also a good one to check out.

Tracks in PT are the same as a track on a traditional deck; the tape itself is "blank," and audio is recorded onto it, but not every "inch of tape" will contain audio. Due tot he non-linear editing capabilities, playlists, etc, PT calls each "snippet" a region.

In the Mix window, "track" and "channel" could be used interchangeably. Being an integrated enviornment, I tend to call them "tracks" irregardless of window being viewed/worked within.
I just approach it as a modular enviornment, as it is so flexable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:28 PM

cruisemate,
Please refrain from "helping" others until your knowledge of the product is up to par on your "knowledge" of the mixing console, which I and others find very imformative, but your lack of knowledge of PT at this point is only hindering newcomers who want the best and most accurate information available so that they, myself included, can immediately take that info and apply it to our own home studios with minimal amount of traffic.

And I am impressed with your vocabulary and apparent high intellect, but please refrain from trying to impress me (us) with the intimidating useage of your wording and definite over confidant demeanor (layman- cocky attitude) because that shovel you bear will not only dig you deeper into that hole but may cause callouses also, if not on your hands certainly on the heart of other's toward you. With all sincerity,

Keith Owens...a lowly blue collar employee
Old 04-17-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I thought it was the "geeks", as you say, who were born with this knowledge, and Joe Sixpacks like me are the ones who actually have to struggle and learn this stuff????? Uh oh, Raid, now you've got me really confused!!?!! What manner of man am I?!?!?!?!
http://www.veritas.com/

The worlds largest backup software for data centers.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:12 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
...You'll also notice that 99% of the users of the DUC probably weren't aware of my credentials until your other thread...
Rail, you are far too modest.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:15 AM

Rail... hold me to a higher standard, please. It's an honor.

Let's agree to disagree:

"There is/are no assign matrix or summing amps to record tracks."

Yes there is/are.. the output assignment in Pro Tools is the equivalent of a buss assign matrix on an SSL or Neve console. You can sum multiple inputs via Aux Inputs and bussing to record audio tracks in Pro Tools.

ME: When you arm a channel in normal PT usage the list of busses in the output section (what you appear to be calling an assign matrix) is NOT used to send the program material to be recorded. The "assign matrix" bus is going to the monitors or some other mix, possibly a submaster - ANYWHERE but the recording media.

Summing multiple inputs is the equivalent of using the patch bay after the summing amp. But that buss you are using is NOT associtated with how the program is getting to the recording media, that is a function of the channel you are summing to, and its busses are assign to - what, the monitors?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regions are sections of audio data - which can be placed or recorded onto Audio Tracks.. so yes, there are "tracks".

ME: And where are those audio TRACKS you "record onto"? They don't exist.
Any time you create a new "track" what you are actually doing is enabling a "voice" that can play any region you choose to associate with it. Therefore, PT "tracks" are not "tracks" in which are permanently associated with specific parts of recording media and playback channels. It is more accurate to think in terms of voices and regions than it is to think of "tracks".

Re: input switching

ME: The recorders I worked on had three settings, input (always through), safe (sound only during roll), and sync. Sync would switch automatically to INPUT when the tape was not rolling, and playback when it was until you punched in when it went to input. PT does not go automatically to INPUT when not rolling, I have to click ALT-K every time. That is my experience, though I may be able to cure this.

Regards....

Paul Motter

Old 04-18-2004, 09:56 AM

Riad, I get it now. I missed the joke; actually wasn't even in the ballpark! I'm rather limited in my technological sophistication and was not aware of a company called Veritas. Maybe I’ll change my username to McDonald’s, er something. My name comes from the Latin “in vino veritas” which means “in wine truth” or the truth generally comes out when you’re ‘faced. I just pulled it out of my *ss, pardon the expression, when confronted with coming up with a userID (what pressure!). Good one—you da man.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Rail... hold me to a higher standard, please. It's an honor.

Let's agree to disagree:

"There is/are no assign matrix or summing amps to record tracks."

ME: When you arm a channel in normal PT usage the list of busses in the output section (what you appear to be calling an assign matrix) is NOT used to send the program material to be recorded. The "assign matrix" bus is going to the monitors or some other mix, possibly a submaster - ANYWHERE but the recording media.
Yes it can be.. simply create an Aux track and assign the input to your source I/O and the outputs to a single buss.. create an Audio Track and assign the input to the same buss. This is exactly as you would do it on an analog console. The Input (Aux) Tracks are your Input Channels.

Quote:
Summing multiple inputs is the equivalent of using the patch bay after the summing amp. But that buss you are using is NOT associtated with how the program is getting to the recording media, that is a function of the channel you are summing to, and its busses are assign to - what, the monitors?
No.. only Output 1 & 2 is normally assigned to your monitors.

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME: And where are those audio TRACKS you "record onto"? They don't exist.
Any time you create a new "track" what you are actually doing is enabling a "voice" that can play any region you choose to associate with it. Therefore, PT "tracks" are not "tracks" in which are permanently associated with specific parts of recording media and playback channels. It is more accurate to think in terms of voices and regions than it is to think of "tracks".
Every Audio Track you record to is an audio track - the regions recorded there have a direct relationship to time. If you can't grasp the simple basic premise - you'll probably always have issues understanding the application. In Pro Tools LE you may only have 32 active voices.. this means you can have 32 active tracks. Unlike a tape machine, Pro Tools allows you the flexibility of changing the inputs and outputs of the tracks.

Quote:
Re: input switching

ME: The recorders I worked on had three settings, input (always through), safe (sound only during roll), and sync. Sync would switch automatically to INPUT when the tape was not rolling, and playback when it was until you punched in when it went to input. PT does not go automatically to INPUT when not rolling, I have to click ALT-K every time. That is my experience, though I may be able to cure this.

Regards....

Paul Motter
I repeat.. Pro Tools switches to Input when in Stop. You have something else wrong if it doesn't on your system.

I don't believe you can teach me how to use Pro Tools.. and I certainly wouldn't try to teach you how to manage a cruise ship.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••