Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2020, 09:48 AM

Default Advice on a Laptop

Would appreciate some advice on getting a new laptop as my old Dell Latitude E5530 is beginning to disintegrate.

I will NOT be using this for anything related to mixing or recording with Pro Tools. Besides personal and work related use (mainly, MS Office stuff), I also use it when I play live with my Church's band. I need something powerful enough to run Reason, Omnisphere, and/or Falcon 2 for sure. I use fairly elaborate set ups sometimes with multilayered sounds and/or multiple controller splits. The Dell often runs into CPU issues, so I have to scale back the layers or splits.

We use a Yamaha MOXF as the main controller via USB connection. This allows all the audio from the laptop to pass through the MOXF out to the sound system with a separate gain fader on the MOXF for that. I often mix, say, Reason rack set ups with something from the MOXF as well for example, using the MOXF's Master Mode to set up everything. Switching sounds and setups is a matter of pressing 1 button!

I'm thinking 1TB SSD, i7 Intel Core, 16GB DRAM. Any suggestions on make/models I should consider? My budget for this is probably $750 Max.

Thanks for any suggestions.