Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 AM

Default LT OR GT ?

He fellas, I'm new to the board. We are thinkiing of purchasing a system but really are unsure on the model to buy. We are a small mixing and mastering studio in the UK, I really don't think we'll have many clients at any one time, however if we are using Digidelivery to send MIX files back and two then we could be eating into large disk space (we mix at 96K) with a Nuendo System, please check us out here www.jellyjam.co.uk Mastering files will all be at 44.1K when they are sent back down the line so will not be as large.

Any help would be appreciated here as the difference in cost between the 2 machines is considerable.

Anyone elso on here using this to transfer these types of files from a studio enviroment- any ideas ?

Many Thanks for your valued help here !

Best Regards

Andy Bramhall
Prop
www.jellyjam.co.uk
Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: LT OR GT ?

The differences are this:

The GT allows unlimited pending deliveries, umlimited standard accounts, unlimited guest accounts and has a 500GB drive.

The LT has a limit of 20 pending deliveries, only one standard account, unlimited guest accounts and has an 80GB drive.

The difference between the types of accounts are this:

Standard accounts can send to anyone while guest accounts can only send to standard account holders.

If you get the LT, you would be the standard account holder and you would be able to send to anyone, but those with guest accounts on your server will only be able to send deliveries to you.

I've used the server to send mix files and even used it to send whole Pro Tools sessions to another studio.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 AM

Hey Jimmy , Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated. Am I right is saying that most studios are using this piece to transfer "Mastered"(44.1) files across the network and not mix files ?
Obviously if we're sending multitracks of complete albums this is going to eat into the hard-drive space on the machine, and likewise people who up-load multis to us will fill the drive and more especially if they send 96k files ?

This all food for thought mate, the LT is tempting because it is way cheaper than the GT, can I ask you what machine you use ?

Many Thanks mate for the reply, been a big help.

Andy
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 AM

I don't know what most studios are doing with their digidelivery servers. At Imperative Studios we have the LT and we use it to deliver finished mixes for review, send mixes out for pre-mastering, and move Pro Tools sessions less than 2GB that are going out for additional production. The mixes we post are usually mp3 for review and hi-res for pre-mastering.

For album projects, we'll use the server to send final mix files. The actual sessions will be provided to the label/management co. on firewire drives.

If you have need to send a whole session folder then you can do so, but why do that when usually all that's desired are the mixes or stems?

As far as drive space goes, once the delivery is downloaded and received from the server, it is deleted form the internal drive and that space is made available for other deliveries.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM

Thanks Jimmy,

I think your thinking is spot on here, we are going to go for the LT version and save much cash.

Once again thanks Jimmy

Andy Bramhall
www.jellyjam.co.uk